Data Driven Page - Map Extent Issue

01-22-2015 04:11 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

hi all,

I am wondering why the map extent is acting strange for my current Data Driven Page setup.

If you look at the below screenshot, I have set the Best fit to be 4cm, so I would like 4cm of clearance around my land parcel before the edge of the map. It looks fine.

2015-01-23_11-05-17_Building & Site Location Map.mxd - ArcMap.jpgscale automatically zooms to 1:2000

I would like to lessen this margine as I would like to see more detail of my parcel of land, so I change the margin to be 3cm or even 2cm, but then the map scale rounds DOWN to be 1:1000, which actually chops part of my parcel off. Is this normal? I would have thought that ArcMap would have realised this and changed it so as it had to round up to the next available scale which is 1:2000.

Is this a bug? Or should the map be clipping part of my parcel in focus out of the map?

2015-01-23_11-07-38_Building & Site Location Map.mxd - ArcMap.jpgscale is automatically changed to 1:1000

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidBarnes

In the Data Driven Pages Set up dialog, on the Extent tab, what is "Round Scale To Nearest" set to?

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Hi David, as per the screenshots i have it set to round to nearest 1000 scale, but I am perplexed as to why it would round down and cut parts of the data driven polygon out of the data frame...

cheers

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

It's rounding to "nearest" value, which means it can round up or down. Maybe there should be an option to only round up, or maybe it should do that by default. You might consider submitting an idea to the ideas website at http://ideas.arcgis.com/

BenVan_Kesteren1

ah excellent, you have stated the obvious which I had made an incorrect assumption.

I interpreted that to be round up only, I didn't think ArcMap would round down and cut the map off, thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos