database-personal database....?

Jump to solution
01-11-2015 02:50 PM
ibrahimibrahim
New Contributor

Hi

I am new in arcgis, however I am using other gis software well, I am a bit confused about fie database,personal database,feature class...

I like to learn with examples. so, I have several points including attributes, several lines like fault line and  polygons. there are  topographic maps(geotif), geological map(georeferenced-geotif),dem files, different grid files, e00 files...

Which  of these are geodatabase, personal database?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend using a file geodatabase. The personal geodatabase has too many limitations and is based Access.

All the data you are mentioning are datasets (raster and vector), none of these are geodatabases, but can be loaded into the geodatabase. I would recommend you to read "Essential readings about the geodatabase".

Depending on your level of experience with ArcGIS, you could read the Introduction to GIS | ArcGIS Resource Center .

Maybe the topic "What is raster data" can be interesting. Also have a look at the tutorials: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  and visit the training site to follow some (sometimes free) courses:

ArcGIS Foundational Courses  like: Esri Training | Getting Started with GIS

View solution in original post

1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend using a file geodatabase. The personal geodatabase has too many limitations and is based Access.

All the data you are mentioning are datasets (raster and vector), none of these are geodatabases, but can be loaded into the geodatabase. I would recommend you to read "Essential readings about the geodatabase".

Depending on your level of experience with ArcGIS, you could read the Introduction to GIS | ArcGIS Resource Center .

Maybe the topic "What is raster data" can be interesting. Also have a look at the tutorials: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  and visit the training site to follow some (sometimes free) courses:

ArcGIS Foundational Courses  like: Esri Training | Getting Started with GIS