Creating a custom template for map notes in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-10-2015 01:04 PM
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor

We have two organizational accounts at our school for teachers to use with students in both natural science and social science classes.  One of my teachers asked it they could create a custom template of symbols for one of their projects.  They like some of the symbols from various templates so they would like to combine selected feature symbols from those.  They would also like to create custom symbols to fit this project.  I would really like to help them and learn how to do this if it is possible.

Here are the specifics of what they would like to create:

Flag symbol to represent cities

Line for rivers

Area for tectonic plates

Area for seas and lakes

Area for mountains (maybe shaded appropriately)

point symbol to resemble a volcano

Area for deserts

Line for ocean trenches and ridges

Is it possible to customize ArcGIS Online to this degree?  I have access to Desktop and work with it regularly if that is needed.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Steve,

You can manually upload custom symbols when creating a web map, but you will need to upload these symbols individually each time you create a web map. Unfortunately,  I don't think that this workflow will be ideal for your current class.

Please go ahead an log this as an idea on the ideas site or promote this idea: Custom symbol galleries for ArcGIS Online.  Feel free to add any comments about the specifics of your use case or details.

Cheers,

Kelly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Steve,

You can manually upload custom symbols when creating a web map, but you will need to upload these symbols individually each time you create a web map. Unfortunately,  I don't think that this workflow will be ideal for your current class.

Please go ahead an log this as an idea on the ideas site or promote this idea: Custom symbol galleries for ArcGIS Online.  Feel free to add any comments about the specifics of your use case or details.

Cheers,

Kelly

SteveCline
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  I added a comment to the idea.

0 Kudos