Hosted Feature Service - Two Files - Why?

Jump to solution
12-23-2014 11:58 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

When I upload a shapefile or file geodatabase into ArcGIS Online, I see two new files in My Content each with the same name, but different "Types".  One is labeled Feature Layer and the other is labeled Shapefile or File Geodatabase depending on the file type uploaded.

The Feature Layer is used in my map, but I don't know what the other file is used for.  Can I delete the other item or is it necessary to have for the Feature Layer?

FGDB.JPG

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

When you upload a File Geodatabase or Shapefile, the zipped file is uploaded and will be listed as the correct Type.  Users in your organization can access this File Geodatabase/Shapefile (if you've shared it) and download it to their desktop.  This is just another great benefit of ArcGIS.com.

A Feature Layer is created when you check the option 'Publish this file as a feature layer' when you are uploading the zipped file.

To answer your question, no, this file is not needed for the Feature Layer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

When you upload a File Geodatabase or Shapefile, the zipped file is uploaded and will be listed as the correct Type.  Users in your organization can access this File Geodatabase/Shapefile (if you've shared it) and download it to their desktop.  This is just another great benefit of ArcGIS.com.

A Feature Layer is created when you check the option 'Publish this file as a feature layer' when you are uploading the zipped file.

To answer your question, no, this file is not needed for the Feature Layer.

JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

Jake:

Thank you for the clarification.

0 Kudos