"An error has occurred" - Creating Dynamic Map Slides in PowerPoint

Jump to solution
12-15-2014 06:36 AM
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

IT in my office just installed Office 365 on my machine, and I then installed Maps for Office. When I try and add a dynamic slide in Power Point, I get an error that just says "An error occurred." and a static slide is produced in its place.No other information is given.I have tried this with multiple Web maps from my organizational account with the same result. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayMeehl
New Contributor III

Thanks Avelardo, much better solution then what Esri had me do.  I continued to have differernt issues once I created a new windows user.

Assisted a co-worker with your instructions and found that it is one directory that caused the error for us. Under Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp it was the PPT11.0 directory which contains MSForms.exd.  Co-worker just deleted this directory and ran PowerPoint, which recreates the directory with a new file allowing the user to embed the dynamic map.  I will delete my other posting above which was a huge amount of work and still is.  Thanks all.

Jay Meehl

View solution in original post

12 Replies
TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

I have the same issue but the weird thing is I was able to do it for a couple of weeks but then suddenly started to receive the very same warning.

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem. Any suggestions ??

0 Kudos
JayMeehl
New Contributor III

I have the same issue and submitted a support request to Esri.  It has been a week and no reply.

MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jay,

it would be cool, if you could share the response of ESRI in case you get one !!

0 Kudos
MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jay, for sharing your solution.

I hope I can find a less "dangerous" option at some point, but it´s good to know anyway 🙂

0 Kudos
Chris_Anderson
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the advice. The only problem is I am working on a state agency scale, so creating new Windows accounts for senior management, commissioners, and regular staff is not a workable solution to the problem. Plus, the IT department for my agency would have some issues how this work around affects their internal protocols.

I will have to give ESRI support a call and see what they say. Or this gives me a reason for to go to the User Conference in San Diego.

Chris

0 Kudos
AvelardoCueva
New Contributor III

If you encounter the issue of “Some Controls in this presentation can’t be activated. They might not be registered on this computer” and not being able to add Dynamic Maps” (An Error has Occurred), do the following:

Delete your temporary internet files.

You can do this by either opening up your %temp% directory and deleting manually or by using the Windows Cleanup utility.

Thanks to Ankur Nepalia‌ for this fix.

MartinScheiber
Occasional Contributor

Perfect! That worked for me. Thanks !

TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Thank you Avelardo!

Cleaning the Temporary Internet Files folder from IE Settings did not work but then I deleted all the files in the Temp folder (C:\Users\tuna.unsal\AppData\Local\Temp\) and it worked.