Flickr Images in Storymap - Image unavailable

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 10:25 AM
KateNewell
New Contributor III

I have loaded over 45 images into a story map successfully. Because these images are property of our Museum, they do not want them to be shared anywhere other than in the story map (they are watermarked as well).  I changed the permissions in my flickr album to "Private", as I want to secure these images as available only in the story map.  Now I am getting the error "This image or video is currently unavailable" from Flickr.  Are the images, after being loaded into the story map, required to remain in flickr? I also changed the album back to Public and I am still getting the error.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kate,

Sorry about your issues. It is not possible to use pictures from Flickr that are private in a Map Tour.

When you change a Flickr album from public to private, the pictures links will not be valid anymore and if you make it public account the picture links changes. This his how it should work for security concern but unfortunately it's poorly documented.

I think Picasa works the exact same way but you maybe interested by testing that.

Facebook works in a different way and it is possible to include private pictures from Facebook in a public Map Tour. Your other solution is to host them on a webserver, free solution like Dropbox works very well.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Timothy Hales‌ you might want to check out this link re video issues

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kate,

Sorry about your issues. It is not possible to use pictures from Flickr that are private in a Map Tour.

When you change a Flickr album from public to private, the pictures links will not be valid anymore and if you make it public account the picture links changes. This his how it should work for security concern but unfortunately it's poorly documented.

I think Picasa works the exact same way but you maybe interested by testing that.

Facebook works in a different way and it is possible to include private pictures from Facebook in a public Map Tour. Your other solution is to host them on a webserver, free solution like Dropbox works very well.

KateNewell
New Contributor III

Thank you so much.  Yes, not very well documented, but I probably should have tested on a smaller batch before switching the album ;(

We have moved to hosting them on a webserver. 

0 Kudos