Adding an Excel Table to ArcGIS Pro... is it possible?

Jump to solution
12-09-2014 02:20 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

I am playing around in ArcGIS Pro Pre-release and I am unable to work out how to add a table from excel to a map??? In ArcDesktop it was very straight forward, but it is not so straightforward in Pro...

Anyone done this simple task before?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From a post 6 months ago in the ArcGIS Beta Community forums:

Kent Marten wrote:

This is expected as direct read of Excel worksheets (or Named Ranges) as tables is not planned to be supported during the first release of ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From a post 6 months ago in the ArcGIS Beta Community forums:

Kent Marten wrote:

This is expected as direct read of Excel worksheets (or Named Ranges) as tables is not planned to be supported during the first release of ArcGIS Pro.

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

This is a little bit mind-boggling to me. I remember the weeping and group-hugs when they announced Excel support for ArcMap at the UC a few years ago.......

ThomasMisek
New Contributor III

I agree.  Thanks for the bad news.

I hope that this will be something like the command line in ArcGIS and be added sooner rather later.  This alone may keep people away from ArcPro until resolved.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Excel is supported at ArcGIS Pro 1.1 which is expected to be released this summer.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Excel is a great analysis environment but a really bad database. Just say no!

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

I understand your comment, but not every client/customer/peer I have contact with has access to some form of GIS.

I think Excel is a wonderful medium to transfer data between myself and the rest of the world, and it should most definately be supported completely moving forward.

0 Kudos
JackHunt
New Contributor

A current workaround for this (until 1.1 is released) is to convert your xlsx table to csv and perform either of the following steps:

1. Add Data -> click ‘Data’ -> Select desired table -> Right click table once it appears in TOC and select ‘Display XY Data' -> Run the GP tool
  2. Add Data dropdown -> click ‘XY Event Data’ -> Select the desired table -> Run the GP too
0 Kudos