Issues with geocoding and table of addresses

12-02-2014 03:45 PM
AlexLopez
New Contributor

Hello,

my name is Alex, and I am a new student to GIS.  For a project, I need to create a table of addresses and geocode them into Arcmap.  Unfortunately, when I try this, I receive an error message that claims the address locator is corrupt.  My question is, what do I need to do to create a proper address locator?  When I attempt to create a new one, do I use my table as the reference, or do I use the background map?  If any further information is needed, please let me know.  Thanks.

Also, this is a new ESRI account, so I'm not familiar with forum and discussion etiquette.  Please forgive me if I am out of place with anything. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You might want to search the help documentation on Geocoding.

Geocoding is a process by which you translate an address that we humans understand, think 1234 Main St, into a pair of xy coordinates that the GIS understands.  Your locator is based on some sort of feature class,  often road centerlines that has address data that you match your address table to.

The help docs have a tutorial as I recall.  Give it a go, and let us know if you get stuck along the way.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos