Spatial Weights Matrix for Grouping Analysis

11-21-2014 09:32 AM
JamesKelly2
New Contributor

Hello,

I am conducting a grouping analysis of statewide management units based on a suite of relevant covariates or attributes for each management unit. Further, I have some a priori criteria that already splits the state into 3 groups. The analysis will create subgroups within these 3 parent groups.

I have tried running the analysis by splitting the 3 groups into seperate shapefiles and running the analysis for each shapefile. However, the tool does not like it when there is less than 30 features and takes exponentially longer.

I think I need to create a spatial weights matrix, but I am not sure how. I tried tricking the tool by creating a date variable and giving features belonging to the same parent group an equivalent date and then creating a spatial weights matrix using the time and space constraint. However, I think this is less than ideal because it does not consider any data that does not have a similar date.

Anyway, can anyone offer any advice on how to create a swm that would maintain the 3 parent groups??

Thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies