Importing Coded Values for Geodatabase Domain

Jump to solution
11-19-2014 09:20 AM
AbdulahadMalik1
New Contributor

I am wondering if there is a way to export the coded values for a geodtabase domain from an excel table? I have tried to use the table to domain geoprocessing tool but it’s not producing any result. I have about 58 coded values that I need to use for a domain and dont want to type each one manually.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alber_Verster
Esri Contributor

The ArcGIS Pro version of the Domain to Table tool would be the perfect tool for this task. The resultant exported table can then be used in the Table to Domain tool for importing the domains into a different geodatabase. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can convert you Excel to Table (make sure you have two columns, one with the code and one with the description), and continue with using the Table to Domain tool.

BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Abdulahad,

Xander is correct and like everything this is more than one way get your domain values to a table. You can also try the Domain to Table ArcCatalog tool it is under Data Management Tools - Domains. Hope this helps and good luck!

0 Kudos
Alber_Verster
Esri Contributor

The ArcGIS Pro version of the Domain to Table tool would be the perfect tool for this task. The resultant exported table can then be used in the Table to Domain tool for importing the domains into a different geodatabase. 

0 Kudos
Sietse_de_Haan
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I am trying this exact same tools. The problem is that I always get an error when trying to create the domain from that table. 

"ERROR 160039: The value being added to the CodedValueDomain already exists."

I want it to be a text domain since I want to use it for a text field (tree species), but I can only get it work when I use numbers for code and species as description, so the result is a domain that can be just for a LONG fieldtype. 

What I am doing wrong? I have the .csv with the species attached. 

I am using arcgis 3.0 btw.

Sietse de Haan
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sietse-h-de-haan/
0 Kudos