Creating data driven pages based on the values of an attribute?

11-14-2014 09:20 AM
SallyRouse
New Contributor

Is it possible to create data driven pages based on the values of an attribute, rather than a grid as the index?

For example I have track data in the form of a series of points. I would like a new map page for each unique track showing only the points for that track and my base layers. I have around 200 unique tracks and it is too hard to visualise the patterns of the tracks by just using different symbols for each track ID. The extent of each map page would be the same.

If I add the point data as my 'layer' in the layer field and then select the trackID as the 'Name Field', I just end up with pages showing the same thing

There may be another solution not based on data driven pages, but I can't find one.

Many thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor

Sally,

You may want to try applying a definition query on the tracks feature class (Layer Properties > Definition Query). That will display only the selected track. You'll have to do it 200 times, but it's worth a try.

Scott

0 Kudos
SallyRouse
New Contributor

Thanks Scott. I managed to get what I wanted by creating a file of the unique track IDs to define my data driven pages, then used a page definition query to show the points of 1 track per page.

0 Kudos