Allow unlimeted zoom on ArcGIS online map with a cached layer

11-07-2014 03:24 AM
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

I would like to create a map on ArcGIS online account where one of the layer is cached (aerial image). However, I have experienced that when I add a cached service to the map, a user can only zoom in to the last level created in cached layer.

However, I would like for a user to zoom in without setting any limits. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Martin,

You are limited to the cached scales when zooming for a tiled service.  You would either need to cache larger scales, or add the service as a dynamic map/image service.

0 Kudos
MartinSirkovsky
Occasional Contributor

Is there no workaround for this? Or are there any plans to change this.

It would be great I do not have to create cache for very large scales, and when user zooms closer in than the cache level, the image would disappear, or would just zoom digitally,even though there would not be more detail shown on the map.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you create your cache, you can add larger scales, and then choose the option to build the cache manually.  When you build the cache, do not check to build the larger scales.  The user can still zoom to this scale level, but the image will disappear.  There is also the option to create tiles on demand, but I was having difficulty getting the tiles to generate using an ArcGIS.com web map.

MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Martin,

There is a workaround you could try.

The amount you can zoom into a map is controlled by the scale levels in the service you use for your basemap.

Use a Dynamic (non-cached) map service as your basemap.  it doesn't have any scales, so the zoom will be unlimited.

This shows using a service.. I used one from http://sampleserver1.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Demographics/ESRI_Census_USA/MapServer/ 

Use one that has the least amount of data as possible.

addlayerfromweb.png

dynamicbasemap.png

Then add your cached service to the map.. I just used world imagery.   Make sure the Coordinate systems are the same so that your cached service isn't re-projecting to match the basemap, which is a display performance drag.

coordinatebase.png

then zoom in...

zoomin1.png

When you go past the last level you will see the underlining map service.

zoonin2.png

Mark

0 Kudos