Unable to download map using Tile Layer published from tile package (AppFramework error 5.)

Jump to solution
11-02-2014 09:38 AM
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

Using Collector 10.2.7 for iOS I am receiving "AppFramework error 5." when I try to download a map that includes a Tile Layer published from an uploaded tile package.  Viewing the service URL for the tile layer, it looks like the problem is to that it has "Export Tiles Allowed" set to "false".  I'm not sure if there is a step along the way where I could have set that value to true?  If I manually go in and change it to true (by going to .../rest/admin/services... and using "Edit" to change that value), then everything works fine.

So, is there a step I missing where I can make sure the exporting of tiles is allowed, or a place in the regular ArcGIS Online interface to set it?  I'm starting in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 and publish the tile package via Share As --> Tile Package.  I choose to have it uploaded to my organizational instance of AGOL under the "Tile Package" options.  I then go to the item's details in AGOL and select "Publish".  I don't see way during the publish process, or by editing the resulting tile layer's details to set the Export Tile value. Am I missing a step?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

Hi Xavier,

I'm talking about making the change via the REST interface, rather than through a setting in ArcGIS Online (AGOL).  If you view the details for your tile layer in AGOL, then you will see a URL listed under Map Contents that should look something like:

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/<token>/arcgis/rest/services/<name of your tile layer>/MapServer

Open that link in a browser window, and you'll see the Services Directory listing for your Tile Layer.  Now, edit that URL in browser's address bar and insert "/admin" between ".../rest" and "/services..., so you have something like:

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/<token>/arcgis/rest/admin/services/<name of your tile layer>/MapServer?token...

Open that link and you'll have the admin view for your Tile Layer.  At the bottom of that page are the supported operations, and you want to click on "Edit".  (You may be prompted to login again.)

This brings up the Edit Tile Service page, where you want to choose "true" for the "Export Tiles Allowed" setting. After making that change, click on the "Edit Tile Service" button at the bottom of the page to save your new setting.

Now you should be able to download your tile layer for off-online use in Collector!  Hope that helps...

-peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Export tiles on hosted tiled services is currently not supported. This will be coming in our 10.3 update.

Russ

0 Kudos
xavierblaes
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I got the same problem (error 5) but don't understand what you mean by "If I manually go in and change it to true (by going to .../rest/admin/services... and using "Edit" to change that value), then everything works fine".

Did you succeed to work offline with the tile layer? Who did you do?

0 Kudos
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

Hi Xavier,

I'm talking about making the change via the REST interface, rather than through a setting in ArcGIS Online (AGOL).  If you view the details for your tile layer in AGOL, then you will see a URL listed under Map Contents that should look something like:

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/<token>/arcgis/rest/services/<name of your tile layer>/MapServer

Open that link in a browser window, and you'll see the Services Directory listing for your Tile Layer.  Now, edit that URL in browser's address bar and insert "/admin" between ".../rest" and "/services..., so you have something like:

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/<token>/arcgis/rest/admin/services/<name of your tile layer>/MapServer?token...

Open that link and you'll have the admin view for your Tile Layer.  At the bottom of that page are the supported operations, and you want to click on "Edit".  (You may be prompted to login again.)

This brings up the Edit Tile Service page, where you want to choose "true" for the "Export Tiles Allowed" setting. After making that change, click on the "Edit Tile Service" button at the bottom of the page to save your new setting.

Now you should be able to download your tile layer for off-online use in Collector!  Hope that helps...

-peter

0 Kudos