Using getpass in python console widget echos password in Windows (Python 2.7 or earlier)

11-02-2014 12:51 AM
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, all

When running the sample at ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) , does anyone have this issue?

Using getpass in python console widget echos password in Windows (Python 2.7 or earlier)

The code is attached.

+++++++++++++++

What steps will reproduce the problem?

1.Open a python interpreter in the console

2.type the following:

>>> import getpass

>>> notMyPassword = getpass.getpass("type your password: ")

password

What is the expected output?

It shows the prompt "don't type your password: " but the password characters are not echoed to the console window

What do you see instead?

getpass displays a warning that it couldn't control echo on the terminal, and that password input may be echoed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The getpass documentation states:

getpass.getpass([prompt[, stream]])

Prompt the user for a password without echoing. The user is prompted using the string prompt, which defaults to'Password: '. On Unix, the prompt is written to the file-like object stream. stream defaults to the controlling terminal (/dev/tty) or if that is unavailable to sys.stderr (this argument is ignored on Windows).

If echo free input is unavailable getpass() falls back to printing
a warning message to stream and reading from
sys.stdinand issuing a GetPassWarning.

From what you describe, it seems your code is working as expected.  Are you on Windows or Linux?

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

JB,

Did you reproduce this issue?

As expected, using getpass in python echos password in Windows (Python 2.7 or earlier), that is, a UserWarning subclass issued.

Warning (from warnings module):

File "C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\lib\getpass.py", line 92

return fallback_getpass(prompt, stream)

GetPassWarning: Can not control echo on the terminal.

Warning: Password input may be echoed.

Enter password:

Warning: Password input may be echoed

Enter password:

The same issu is applied to all scrips, when using getpass, for example, start a service by starting the geometry service at ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Didn't try 10.3 Prerelease (I guess, the issue exist because 10.3 uses still Python 2.7). I tested with 3.4, which is fine in Python 3.4 (that ArcGIS Pro uses).

Keep in mind, if we directly run the code like username=getpass.getuser() OR username = raw_input("Enter user name: "), it would be fine. Pls check at https://community.esri.com/message/284618#284618

Of course, if input without using 'getpass', the example works.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am running ArcGIS 10.2.2 with Python 2.7.5 on Windows 7 Enterprise x64, and I am able to get your attached script to run from a command prompt with no warnings and no errors, i.e., everything works as one would expect from reading documentation.  If I try to run the script from within an IDE, e.g., IDLE or PyCharm, then I get the warning about echoed passwords and they are echoed.

0 Kudos