Editing feature service in ArcMap

Jump to solution
11-01-2014 04:29 PM
PrestigeMakanga1
New Contributor

I am trying to edit a feature service in arcmap. I have seen a number of tutorials online about adding the service into arcmap, right clicking the service and selecting edit. This will supposedly store a local copy of the service and sync with the server once edits are done? My problem is when I right click my service I do not get the option to edit it (screenshot below). Is there something else I need to do. I have verified in the "services properties" that feature access is indeed enabled.

I can edit this service in the flex viewer, but no luck in ArcMAP.

Thanks for your help!

MakangaScreenshot 2014-11-01 16.23.29.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
khairulamri
Occasional Contributor

Hi Makanga,

Connect to your ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Desktop using anonymous user or if the feature access services is secured, connect to ArcGIS Server using user account instead of publisher or administrator. if you connect to arcgis server using administrator or publisher you only can see map services. please find attached document for details

Amri

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

You are definitely looking in the right place. The issue is very likely with the service. In terms of feature access, make sure you allow for add/update/delete.

0 Kudos
PrestigeMakanga1
New Contributor

Thanks for your response Tobias. I do have the create/delete/update/Query options selected. Like I said in the post, I can edit my service via the flex viewer. Still puzzled as to why the edit option is not available.

Regards

Makanga

0 Kudos
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I don't have time to test right now, but maybe create an ArcGIS Server connection as "user" instead of publisher. Also try making your service public and test if that works (if it does then you at least know where to look further). 

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Makanga,

In ArcMap  Sign into your Organization.

signintoarcgisonline.png

Search for your feature service to add.

searchforfeatureservice.png

In the table of content, right click on the feature service layer and click create local copy for editing

createlocalforedit.png

Then edit the local copy as you desire,  regular editing procedure.

Save your edits, quit editing.   Then Right click on the layer and Synchronize your local edits with the server.

synchronizelocaledits.png

-Mark

0 Kudos
FrankPotempa
Occasional Contributor

I have a question related to the workflow as described. Is it possible to only allow the local copy to be a schema only just for uploading data. I'm trying to avoid the user having to download the actual data.

thankx

frank

0 Kudos
khairulamri
Occasional Contributor

Hi Makanga,

Connect to your ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Desktop using anonymous user or if the feature access services is secured, connect to ArcGIS Server using user account instead of publisher or administrator. if you connect to arcgis server using administrator or publisher you only can see map services. please find attached document for details

Amri

PrestigeMakanga1
New Contributor

Thank you very much. I had been connecting to to administer the services and have connected as a user. I can now do the edits.

Regards

Tatenda

0 Kudos