Edits to Web Map Not Reflected in Web Application

Jump to solution
10-22-2014 01:28 PM
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Have created a feature service and have configured the pop-ups. Created a web map out of this service

and now have created a web application using the Classic viewer template.

At times edits stick in the web map and sometimes they don't. One point feature has three domains that can be selected for my client

to input data with. Another point feature has no domains and this ones seems to keep the edits better than the other one.

But then when my client accesses the web application, only the one point feature has seemed to keep it's edits, while the other one

does not.

Any clues?

Walter

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

Issue has been solved. That particular feature, the one that shared the three domains, one of the domains was set to short integer, but it should have been text. Odd enough, it was the third field from the bottom, so I guess when it bumped into this anomaly, it would not store any other edits.

Now all edits are retained.

Thanks for everyone's help on this issue.

Walter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

While editing the point feature that seems to NOT want to keep the edits, I can change the values select "Close" and save my web map. I can review the point and see that the edits have been performed on that point.

When I leave my web map to go back to my contents and open my web map again, the edits have not been retained..!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated......Walter

0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

With more edit testing on these point features, it's consistent that the bottom three fields are the ones that are

not retaining the edits. Out of a total of 11x fields, it's only the bottom three fields that are NOT retaining their edit values, while the upper ones do.

Bottom_Three.PNG

There has GOT to be some reason for this?

Walter

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Often the problem lies with fields that have null values when the schema says they can't have nulls. Check the REST endpoint of the service and look at the field definitions.

I suspect there is some error posting the edits back to the database, even though the browser appears to retain the edits for the session. Do you know how to use the developer tools of the browser? Turn them on and watch the requests go through as you make an edit. I'm guessing you'll see an error in the response that isn't trapped by the application.

Mike

0 Kudos
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Walter,

It sounds like your feature templates have not been properly set. I also had this problem when using domains in my fields. For some reason ArcMap and AGOL mixes up the feature templates on features with multiple domains. It took me several days to figure out why my changes weren't being saved when I reload the page.

Arcmap automatically set up the feature template for features when in an edit session. But gets confused as to what template to use with features that have multiple domains, which is why you'll have to manually set it.

Assuming that it is the feature templates settings that are causing problems for you, you can easily fix it in ArcMap by starting an Edit Session. Then go to create feature -> organize template. From here it'll let you specify how you want the template to look. Save and exit when you're done. You will have to re-upload the service again to AGOL. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Gentlemen,

thank you for your responses. First, I checked my schema and all the fields permit null values. Not really sure how to use the developer tools to trap errors while I'm editing a point feature in my web map. Maybe a good reference link could be provided.

Also, my feature template, while editing the feature in ArcMap seems to be ok, as far as I can see. The feature does have a template and all fields, including the three fields that share the same domain, all permit the null value to be stored.

I will attempt to publish the feature service again to see if my templates are mixed up.

Walter

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have chrome (other browsers have similar), click the "burger" icon (3 horizontal, parallel lines) to the right of the address bar, click More Tools and click Developer Tools. In the panel/window that results, click the Network tab. This will show you all the requests that get sent. You'll see the responses to requests, which may contain error messages that don't display in the app.

Mike

0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

Below is the results of apply/Edits activity. I don't see any type of errors.

1. updates:[{"geometry":{"x":-9010488.146204036,"y":5858718.255801233,"spatialReference":{"wkid":102100,"latestWkid":3857}},"attributes":{"OBJECTID":5,"Date":1414036800000,"Weather":"Frosty","WaterTemp_Celsius":55,"Depth_Meters":55,"Comments":"55","MDR1":"Dense","NVR1":55,"MDR2":"Moderate","NVR2":55,"MDR3":"Dense","NVR3":"55"}}]

I can see the entries I've made to my form, the point feature that shares the some domain for three of the fields.

So, as far as I can tell, it's updating the feature.

Walter

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

This looks like the request gets sent, but the response is what would contain any errors.

Are you only having problems with one feature? Or are you unable to edit at all? If it's just one, it may be that particular feature.

This is a little hard to debug in the forums. You might want to call our Technical Support and have someone help. We would need access to the service and try to make and edit and see if any errors appear.

Mike

0 Kudos
WalterDziuba
Occasional Contributor

Mike,

Issue has been solved. That particular feature, the one that shared the three domains, one of the domains was set to short integer, but it should have been text. Odd enough, it was the third field from the bottom, so I guess when it bumped into this anomaly, it would not store any other edits.

Now all edits are retained.

Thanks for everyone's help on this issue.

Walter

0 Kudos