How to Explode Multipart Feature

10-13-2014 07:23 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to explode a multipart feature? I have a line that has two parts that are separated geographically, and now I want two separate lines in my table. There is the button in ArcMap but I cannot find it in ArcGIS Pro Prerelease.

Anyone done this before?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChristopherBrown4
New Contributor III

HI Ben,

I had a quick look, and if you want ALL multipart features in your current feature class to be single part there is a Toolbox Tool. But as you say in the Prerelease at least there does not seem to be all of the Advanced Editing Tools that we are used to seeing in ArcMap.

I hope this helps,

CDB

BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Christopher, thanks for your reply. im glad it someone else has had a look and couldnt see it. I thought it would be an obvious one to find, it seems not.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ben,

The Editor's explode command isn't implemented yet. You can use the GP tool in the meantime.

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

GP Tool? in ArcGISPro, where that located?

as far as I can see there's no way to explode in Pro

Thanks

Brian

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That's because it isn't call Explode it is... Multipart To Singlepart—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan

I saw that, but assumed based on the Title, it was taking a multi part and creating a single part, which on thinking thru a bit on my part would be simpler if just using merge. Optimally I would like to explode while editing like the explode tool in advanced editing in Arc10.3 but this will work, I just don’t need it to write out to a new feature layer, I need it to be a temp explode while editing features in Pro, I’m re-merging quickly a few edits later...

Thanks for the quick tips

Brian

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The editor's explode command will make a return in Pro 1.2 (Soon).

You can also try the explode developer sample for Pro 1.1. This sample doesn't support dounut polygons, the core command will.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

or you could go to the attribute table and select the ones you don't want and delete it . Would that work for you ?

0 Kudos