Creating a XY Event Layer from a Excel table

09-22-2014 10:55 AM
ShellyMorgan
New Contributor III

I need to know how to create a XY Event layer from a Excel table. I using ArcGIS 10.2. I have tried and I get an error message. Also, I tried converting n Excel table to a dbl tabl Ultimately, I need to turn a Excel table to a shape file. I know, we don't use these but......

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HemantAngarkar2
Occasional Contributor

What was the error message? Was the excel file prepped correctly (No spaces in Header row, No special characters except underscore, should not start with number)? To check these open excel in ArcMap and see if all the fields are correctly shown.

Kindly state error message that you got. Also what are the vesions of arcgis and excel, and extension of excel file.

0 Kudos
JorgeOrellana
Occasional Contributor II

What's the error message? Please provide as much information as possible so we are able to troubleshoot your issue better.

Try looking at this for some additional sources of errors when it comes to spreadsheets and ArcGIS

Best Practices When Using Excel Files with ArcGIS

ShriramBhutada1
New Contributor III

Hi Shelly,

Are you getting following error? if you are it is common for table which doesn't have objectID field like Excel tables. You avoid those message you can uncheck the checkbox on the form "Warn me if the resulting layer will have restricted functionality".

"

---------------------------
Table Does Not Have Object-ID Field
The table you specified does not have an Object-ID field so you will not be able to select, query, or edit the features in the resulting layer, or define relates for them.

After you create this layer, you can export it to a shapefile or feature class if you need these functions. To export a layer, right-click it in the Table Of Contents and choose Data>Export Data. Add the exported data to the map as a new layer.
OK   Cancel  

"

Here is the documentation for adding x y layer

ArcGIS Help 10.1