Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I upload more than 1,000 polygon features at a time?

Jump to solution
09-22-2014 09:21 AM
BrianWays1
Deactivated User

I know I can get pass the 1,000 point .zip shapfile limit by just using a .cvs. Is there a way to do something similar, but for polygons and line features? When will we be able to upload a .zip shapefile with more than 1,000 features?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Your only solution is to create a service out of your data. Either using your own ArcGIS Server or with an ArcGIS Online subscription.

It is unlikely that the limit will ever be increased as when you upload features using a public AGOL account the features get stored inside the web map so you will eventually surpass the maximum size of the webmap or exceed the web browser's ability to draw all of these features.

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Your only solution is to create a service out of your data. Either using your own ArcGIS Server or with an ArcGIS Online subscription.

It is unlikely that the limit will ever be increased as when you upload features using a public AGOL account the features get stored inside the web map so you will eventually surpass the maximum size of the webmap or exceed the web browser's ability to draw all of these features.

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
TomBell1
Regular Contributor

You could break your data in half.  Let's say you have 1,200 features.  You could separate 600 features into an "east" side and then 600 into a "west" side.  Or 2,000 features into N,S,E,W, etc., and then download the shapefile(s) into ArcView and combine them if they need combining.

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Honored Contributor

Tom,

yes this approach would be possible but you will soon run into the issues I have described above.

regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
BrianWays1
Deactivated User

Thanks Anthony. I'll just have to make a service.

Tom,That has worked for me in some of my smaller data sets. I am working with 100,000 or more polygon features, It would be very annoying to export it by 999 features 101 times. I guess I could write a script.

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
TomBell1
Regular Contributor

Haha, well I guess that would be a bit much!

0 Kudos