Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy feature dataset but not the features inside

Jump to solution
09-19-2014 10:09 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Is it possible to copy a feature dataset but not feature classes within using python?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard
Honored Contributor

Export it as an XML, making sure you check the schema only option.  Then import it into the new location.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JeffWard
Honored Contributor

Export it as an XML, making sure you check the schema only option.  Then import it into the new location.

Hope that helps.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Jeff. I had no idea about this. Here was looking for a workaround and there is a pre-made  thing right there in think right there in arc. lol. I feel a little foolish. oh well lose some win some. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I am testing it now... to see if it can handle all of the datasets at once. If so there will be no need for automation...

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you want the feature classes without the features? If so I think the most straightforward way would be to run CreateFeatureDataset_management (using the input feature class for the CS) and CreateFeatureClass_management (using the input feature classes inside the input feature class as schema templates). If you needed to do this more than once, this could be pretty straightforward to automate using ModelBuilder or Python.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Curtis. I think that the schema method is what I want at this time. Thanks for the input that is very good to know for the future.

0 Kudos