AnsweredAssumed Answered

Labelling Depth points in ArcMap

Question asked by geonetadmin on Feb 16, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 by arlandeleon
Original User: azzwan

I am not sure if this is the best forum to post this question but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a thinned bathymetry points file where the depths are negative in sign and drying heights are positive.  I intend to create a map and label my points as depths as you would see them on a nautical chart.  For example the the negative depths become positive values and the depths are rounded to 1 decimal place etc.  I have a a small VB Script for doing just that and it works quite well.  However, I have a problem, the drying heights appear as negative numbers once labelled.  I would like to have the drying heights remain positive sign but become underlined labels.   I do not know much about scripting so if anyone can help me out with a way to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

To enter the label script I go to layer properties>label>test string Expression>Under Expression I tick the advanced option and then paste in the VBScript.  I then click on Verify to make sure that it works and then OK.

Here is an example of the points file [ATTACH=CONFIG]31500[/ATTACH]

Here is an example of how the points are labelled[ATTACH=CONFIG]31501[/ATTACH]

Here is the current VB Script that I am using:

Function FindLabel ( [Depth] )
fltDepth = Round([Depth] * -1, 1)
strChar = "."
intPos = InStr(1, fltDepth, strChar)
intLen1 = Len(fltDepth)
intLen2 = intLen1 - intPos
If intPos <> 0 Then
  intStart = Left(fltDepth, intPos - 1)
  intLast = Right(fltDepth, intLen2)