Map Service Not Rendering All Features

01-09-2014 09:42 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: danielchaboya

I'm not sure if this a server/performance issue, but published map services are not rendering/displaying all features.  We rebooted our 10.1 server and this did not resolve the issue.  After the reboot I published a new service and I'm still experiencing the same issue.  See attached images for examples.  This is the first time we've had this issue. Sorry if this sounds vague.

ArcGIS 10.1
ArcGIS Server 10.1
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: geohaskett

What is your Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server properties set at?
By default this is set to 1,000 records.  If you have more than 1,000 in the current data frame it will only draw the first 1,000 features.  However, as you zoom in to a smaller area, in theory all your features should draw when the total number of features in the area in question is less than 1,000.

Check this setting and let me know if it helps.

Go to your service via the Manager website, click on the service in question, then click on the Parameters tab on the left hand side.  Scroll down til you see the Properties section, then increase the value to the right of the Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server text.

Note, that by increasing this setting, you may see slower return times as you zoom in and out, waiting for the data to draw.  If you increase it drastically, then think about setting a min/max scale on your web client, so that the end user is not wasting time waiting for it to draw at all levels, etc.
0 Kudos
danielchaboya
New Contributor III
What is your Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server properties set at?
By default this is set to 1,000 records.  If you have more than 1,000 in the current data frame it will only draw the first 1,000 features.  However, as you zoom in to a smaller area, in theory all your features should draw when the total number of features in the area in question is less than 1,000.

Check this setting and let me know if it helps.

Go to your service via the Manager website, click on the service in question, then click on the Parameters tab on the left hand side.  Scroll down til you see the Properties section, then increase the value to the right of the Maximum Number of Records Returned by Server text.

Note, that by increasing this setting, you may see slower return times as you zoom in and out, waiting for the data to draw.  If you increase it drastically, then think about setting a min/max scale on your web client, so that the end user is not wasting time waiting for it to draw at all levels, etc.

Thanks for the response.
We have always used the default(1,000) for Records Returned and have never had this problem.  With that said,  the services are now performing as expected.  I suspect this was a server performance issue rather than a service issue.  Amazing how things fix themselves over the weekend 🙂
0 Kudos