Why Esri_anonimous ?

Jump to solution
08-27-2013 01:00 PM
ionarawilson1
Occasional Contributor III
I am creating a python toolbox that will be used when the user edit a feature service. I created fields to enable editor tracking. I want users to be able to identify who created or edited the features. When I finished running the tool on the copy of the feature service I see the correct creator name (iwilson, my windows username), but after syncronizing the edits with the server the creator and editor fields change to blank , the creation date and last edit time change to 12:00:00 am. When I create a local copy again, the creator and editor fields are  "Esri_anonymous" and the database used to create the feature also shows Esri_anonymous instead of iwilson. Why is this happening and how can I keep iwilson permanently in the feature service and database?

I am attaching pictures of my service properties and a feature table. Thank you for any help!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27029[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27030[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

If you want windows users to edit the SDE feature class in ArcMap (not through a service), you need to do the following:

1.  Add their windows account to SQL Server
2.  Grant their account UPDATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE privileges using the Change Privileges tool

If you also want the user to be able to edit the feature service and keep track of who edited what, you need to do the following:

1.  Set up ArcGIS Server security using the option Users from an existing enterprise system and roles from ArcGIS Server's built-in store
2.  Create a role in ArcGIS Server
3.  Add the window accounts to this role
4.  Secure the service and add this role to the service

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ionara,

The creator and editor fields should not be changing to blank after a synchronization.  What version of ArcGIS for Server are you using, and what database?  (i.e ArcGIS for Server 10.1 SP1, SQL Server 2008)

The reason the new features you create have ESRI_Anonymous is because you are editing a non-secured service.  When editing a feature service, editor tracking uses ArcGIS for Server's credentials, not your geodatabase credentials.  For example, if you secure the service with a username/password, you will need to enter these credentials to access the service.  These are the credentials that will be stored in the editor tracking fields.
0 Kudos
ionarawilson1
Hi Jake,

I am using 10.1 SP1, with SQL 2008r2. How do I secure the service with username and password? (this would change for every user that is allowed to edit, this is an internal feature service, just for people that work here)
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ionara_wilson

By the way, it changes to blank after synchronization, but when I create a new copy, the fields turn back to Esri_Anonymous. So, you are saying that it should not even be blank , at anytime, like after I synchronize?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The fields should not be blank after a synchronization.  You may want to follow up on this with Tech Support.

Here is a link that discusses how to implement security for ArcGIS for Server:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//0154000005qz000000
0 Kudos
ionarawilson1
I checked it again. As soon as I add the feature service, those fields are blank, and when I make a local copy I can see them, but it still showing Esri_Anonymous
0 Kudos
ionarawilson1
Ok, thanks. In this case, which one of option applies to me? I want to secure services through windows authentication and I created these users in the SQL to have access to the geodatabase. Is this the correct way? I guess I am still confused about users to access the geodatabase and the users to access the service. Can they be the same? Do I still need to create these users in SQL or just in the server? Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would recommend using Users from an existing enterprise system and roles from ArcGIS Server's built-in store.

Security for the geodatabase and ArcGIS for Server are separate.  If you want a windows user to have privileges to a feature class, you would grant their windows account the necessary permissions at the geodatabase level.  If you publish this feature class as a service, you can grant privileges to the same windows account using the security option mentioned above.  When connecting to the ArcGIS Server instance, the user would specify their username and password and they can then access the service.
0 Kudos
ionarawilson1
So, in my case, do I need to set security for both since the users will edit features of a feature service in arcmap? Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you want windows users to edit the SDE feature class in ArcMap (not through a service), you need to do the following:

1.  Add their windows account to SQL Server
2.  Grant their account UPDATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE privileges using the Change Privileges tool

If you also want the user to be able to edit the feature service and keep track of who edited what, you need to do the following:

1.  Set up ArcGIS Server security using the option Users from an existing enterprise system and roles from ArcGIS Server's built-in store
2.  Create a role in ArcGIS Server
3.  Add the window accounts to this role
4.  Secure the service and add this role to the service
0 Kudos