Import csv to ArcMap - problem

08-05-2013 01:07 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Ryanc65

I am new to ArcGIS and have a problem.

I have GIS data, street centerlines and corporate boundary info that I have for a basemap.  It uses the projected coord. system NAD83, State Plane, Indiana East.

I have point data in excel that I am trying to add to the basemap.  I saved it as a csv file and then clicked Add Data and picked the csv sheet i wanted.  I opened the table to verify the data was there.  I right-clicked on the layer and went to Display XY Data.  The Lat./Long. appear correct and the Projected Coordinate system shown in the description box is the NAD83 system.

When I click ok and the data is shown in the data frame window, is does not show up in the correct location or at the correct scale.  The units display for the data frame is in feet.  It appears the point data I have added has come in using feet, not latitude/longitude.  When I highlight one of the points the coordinate value matches the Lat/Long from my csv file.  What could I be missing?

I added a screenshot of a point that shows the value of the point and the data view units.  I also added a little bit of the csv file for review. 

Thanks for any help.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26470[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26471[/ATTACH]
Ryan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ad_giles@hotmail.com

Ryan,

You are best to open a new arcmap project and set the data frame to geographics then add your csv file in, and display as xy data making sure you give it a geographic coordinate projection. Once the data is in right click and export the results to a feature class.

Once you have the feature class which is in the correct format which is geographics you an add this to your base map, it should then reprojected on the fly correctly. If you don't want it reprojecting on the fly you can project the file to the right coord system using the project tool:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000007m000000

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
RyanClark2
New Contributor
Anthony,

Thanks for the reply.  When I opened the new project and set the data frame to WGS84 I was able to bring the csv file to the correct location.

Ryan.
0 Kudos