Pie chart not a pie chart

Jump to solution
04-07-2013 06:57 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: elimaygolden

I have a data set with land treatment districts and treatment data (ex. district = White River, treatment method = prescription burn, acres = 19660). I need to be able to display a pie chart for each region with acres treated by treatment method, and have each pie chart proportional relative to the other district pie charts based on total acres treated (ex. if 80,000 total acres treated in AZ Strip district and 15,000 total acres treated in White River district, AZ Strip pie chart would appear much larger).

The best I've been able to do so far is (within each district) generate stacked circles that each represent acres treated with one of the treatment methods. So, if each of the four treatment methods were used in a district, I have four stacked circles that proportionally represent acres treated by each method. I've attached snips of what this looks like for me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]23283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23284[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23285[/ATTACH]

I haven't yet learned how to code, so any advice of that nature would have to be very specific. I feel like this should be a simple fix, though, that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pmcatnip

Welcome to the boards. 🙂

Your data has four features for each location (one for each burn code) and they overlap.  What you are getting is four overlaid pie charts, and they look like circles because for each feature it's reading one field with acreage and three fields of zeroes.  I think the pie chart has to have all four burn acreage values on the same feature.  Since your table has those fields it should be pretty easy to merge the four features into one feature for each location.

So for Arizona Strip you'd want to merge features 1-4 so that the 19660 BURN, 93713 CHAIN, 0 HYDROAXE, AND 1045 WOODCUT are on the same feature.  The size SumOfACR_T should be recalculated to yield 114418.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Welcome to the boards. 🙂

Your data has four features for each location (one for each burn code) and they overlap.  What you are getting is four overlaid pie charts, and they look like circles because for each feature it's reading one field with acreage and three fields of zeroes.  I think the pie chart has to have all four burn acreage values on the same feature.  Since your table has those fields it should be pretty easy to merge the four features into one feature for each location.

So for Arizona Strip you'd want to merge features 1-4 so that the 19660 BURN, 93713 CHAIN, 0 HYDROAXE, AND 1045 WOODCUT are on the same feature.  The size SumOfACR_T should be recalculated to yield 114418.
0 Kudos
ElizabethGolden
New Contributor
Thanks so much, that worked fantastically!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad it's working for you!
0 Kudos
GeorgePowell
New Contributor
I would like to suggest that don't describe overall treatment in this one pie chart. Make different pie charts for each treatment with each method and then link these pie charts to one another.
---------------
html5 chart
0 Kudos