rasters not loading ArcSDE 9.2 MS SQL 2005

01-04-2013 10:40 AM
PaulHeinrich
New Contributor II
I have a geodatabase in ArcSDE 9.2 and using MS SQL 2005. We are using a desktop with ArcGIS 9.3 to load rasters into it using a read-write capable user created in MY SQL (server auth). It was working just fine until recently. Now when we try to load a raster, it seems to run to completion and then the ArcCatalog display is "closed" so that just the connections show.  We can then open the connection back up, but the raster dis not loaded into the geodatabase.  attached are two screenshots showing the results of the raster load (capture.jpg) and the properties for the database (capture2.jpg).  Since this problem started, I've increased the size of the geodatabase from 4GB with 190MB free to 8GB with 4GB available space.  I also found that the OS drive on the server was short of free space (due to a sophos antivirus temp file bug) and fixed that so that the OS drive has 159GB of free space.  Finally, I've rebooted the server a couple of times to eliminate locks on the database.  None of this has solved the disappearing raster problem.  Has anyone seen this before and found a solution?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: paulheinrich

I have a geodatabase in ArcSDE 9.2 and using MS SQL 2005. We are using a desktop with ArcGIS 10 to load rasters into it using a read-write capable user created in MY SQL (server auth). It was working just fine until recently. Now when we try to load a raster, it seems to run to completion and then the ArcCatalog display is "closed" so that just the connections show.  We can then open the connection back up, but the raster dis not loaded into the geodatabase.  attached are two screenshots showing the results of the raster load (capture.jpg) and the properties for the database (capture2.jpg).  Since this problem started, I've increased the size of the geodatabase from 4GB with 190MB free to 8GB with 4GB available space.  I also found that the OS drive on the server was short of free space (due to a sophos antivirus temp file bug) and fixed that so that the OS drive has 159GB of free space.  Finally, I've rebooted the server a couple of times to eliminate locks on the database.  None of this has solved the disappearing raster problem.  Has anyone seen this before and found a solution?

I just tried agian on another system running ArcGIS 9.3 and the GDBDirectConnect.  I get the same behavior. I can connect to the geodatabase and see the previously uploaded rasters.  When I try to laod a new raster using the IMport Rasters tool in ArcCatalog, it seems to run fine and then "kicks me out" of the database connection.  By that I mean the contents view goes blank and I have to double click on the database connection to re-open it.  Here is the message I get from ArcGIS 9.3 during the import...

Executing: RasterToGeodatabase 'N:\NCCWSC\Biological_Ranges\Plant_Species\WGS 1984\abcoc10_39' "Database Connections\NCCWSC_Write.sde" # "Database Connections\NCCWSC_Write.sde"
Start Time: Thu Jan 10 11:47:22 2013
Running script RasterToGeodatabase...
Successfully converted:  N:\NCCWSC\Biological_Ranges\Plant_Species\WGS 1984\abcoc10_39 To Database Connections\NCCWSC_Write.sde\NCCWSC.NCCWSC.abcoc10_39
Completed script RasterToGeodatabase...
Executed (RasterToGeodatabase) successfully.
End Time: Thu Jan 10 11:47:43 2013 (Elapsed Time: 21.00 seconds)

Then I get kicked out.  When I go back in, the raster is not there...
0 Kudos