ModelBuilder Adds Intermediate Variable to Map, Not Final Output Shapefile

Jump to solution
05-14-2012 07:16 AM
JackPitts
New Contributor
Hi,

I have created a tool using ArcGIS ModelBuilder (v9.3) that imports an Excel worksheet, creates an XY Layer, then converts it to a shapefile. The idea is that the tool then adds the final shapefile to the map. However, it keeps adding the temporary XY Layer file to the map, rather than the final output.

Does anyone know why this might be? I've tried both setting the XY Layer as a model parameter, and leaving it as intermediate. Having it as a parameter is useful, as it then allows me to specify a file name as part of the model. Also, the model seems to think that my 'Output Data' file is a folder, despite the 'Feature Class to Shapefile' converter already having a data workspace assigned (see attached JPG). I have also attached the tool as a Python script, should that shed some light. Note that 'server location' would normally be replaced by a valid file / folder path.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Feature Class To Shapefile is a script tool. Maybe it's the cause it doesn't add produces Shp to display?

As an alternative I managed to create model which create Shp and add it to display:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14354[/ATTACH]

XY Event Layer is ticked as Intermediate
A default output from Copy Features is feature class, but I noticed that when extension '.shp' is added, a shapefile is created.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14355[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbarrette

If you don't get a response soon, you may want to try the geoprocessing forum.

Jeff
0 Kudos
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
Feature Class To Shapefile is a script tool. Maybe it's the cause it doesn't add produces Shp to display?

As an alternative I managed to create model which create Shp and add it to display:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14354[/ATTACH]

XY Event Layer is ticked as Intermediate
A default output from Copy Features is feature class, but I noticed that when extension '.shp' is added, a shapefile is created.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14355[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: bonze89

Hi Marcin,

That's working really well - thank you!
0 Kudos