Cannot Connect to Database Server Failed to connect to Database Server

08-16-2011 06:09 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ehsan1980

hello
i installed ArcSDE 10 Enterprise and sql server express 2008 R2 on my laptop.i have installed ArcSDE post installation and after installing successfully , i got details shown below

Service - esri_sde
port no. 5151/tcp
sde username - sa
sde password - 1026
database name - road
instance name :  PC-EHSAN
Servername:  PC-EHSAN

i want to make a ArcSDE geodatabase but when i want to "add database server" , i encounter with below error :

"Cannot Connect to Database Server Failed to connect to Database Server "

so i checked and enabled the following issues:

SQL Server instance is allowed remote connections.
SQL Server Browser Service is enabled.
TCP/IP in SQL Server Configuration Manager is enabled.
ArcSDE service (esri_sde) is enabled.
firewall is configured to allow sql server access (with 1433 tcp port).

But still i encounter with mentioned error...what should i do ? please help me...
i saw in esri website that  " the Windows domain account should be added into the SQL Server instance" .i do not know how can i do it ?and also is it necessary?because i installed all the software on my laptop...

please help
thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor
By running the SQL Server Post-Installer you will have already created a geodatabase (stored in the roads database). So when you connect in ArcCatalog you should make a Database Connection. In the Catalog Tree, open the Database Connections folder & double-click 'Add Database Connection'. In the Database Connection dialog enter in the connection parameters:

Server - PC-EHSAN
Instance - 5151
database name - road
& username & password.

Alternately you can make a direct connection using this syntax:
Server - PC-EHSAN
Instance - sde:sqlserver:PC-EHSAN
database name - road

The Database Servers node in ArcCatalog is specifically for managing Workgroup or Desktop geodatabases (ArcSDE for SQL Server Express licensed through ArcGIS Server Workgroup, or ArcGIS Desktop). You have ArcSDE Enterprise so you'd use the Post-Installer to create geodatabases and make Database Connections to those geodatabases.

-Shannon
0 Kudos