network analyst extension vs. geometric networks?

05-05-2011 01:40 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I just read a forum posting similar to mine but I want to clarify. Is the network analyst extension just for transportation networking? I am working with utility data so for that I can just use the geometric network tools within ArcEditor, right? I've always been pretty unclear about the difference between the two.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The geometric network is ideal for utilities and network dataset/network analyst for transportation networks.

The main difference is that geometric networks have the concept of "flow". i.e. something moving along the network in a defined way. So you can perform tracing upstream/downstream. It does not have concepts such as turn restrictions, turn delays, street name for directions, etc. Network dataset supports these navigation type capabilities. Network Analyst is a licensed extension that operates on these network datasets. Geometric networks are part of core ArcGIS.

Hope that helps to clear up some confusion.
Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Geometric networks are part of core ArcGIS.

and thank god for that! lol

Appreciate your explanation, that helps a lot.

Cheers,
0 Kudos
DougPerry
New Contributor
I'm trying to create a geometric dataset main for the purposes of checking connectivity in my water utility mxd.  The option to create a new geometric network in ARC Catalog is dithered out.  Is creating a geometric network associated with some extension that I need to load?  I've loaded "network analyst" but still isn't giving me the ability to click on new geometric network.
Is there anything that needs to be loaded or checked in order for me to have the option to create a new network?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jsandhu

You need an ArcInfo or ArcEditor license to create geometric networks. Perhaps you have an ArcView license. See here for more details:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_creating_geometric_networks/002r...
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
Kingsley_Vinithade_Alwis
New Contributor

Hello, Jay,

I have a full license  ArcMap 10.5.1 I don't see geometric networks.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Geometric network support is available in core ArcGIS. How are you trying to see them? Do you have some data with geometric networks? Can you use Catalog to view it? Can you add the data to map? There is a toolbar titled "Utility Network Analyst" that you can bring up that will let you work with analysis on these geometric networks.

If you have installed the tutorial data, try going through this tutorial:

Exercise 5: Build a geometric network—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu