Select to view content in your preferred language

Slope calculations way too high

Jump to solution
08-31-2010 12:34 PM
NathanHautala
New Contributor
When I run the slope analysis tool, the slopes calculated wind up being way too high... (see pictures) Using "degrees" as the units, almost everything is near 90 degrees slope.  Using "percent" as the unit, almost everything is greater than 100.  (I am using 1 as the z factor)

Using "percent", while the highest overall slopes are still in the right locations, the absolute values are just way too high.  My best guess is that the values got multiplied by 100 one time too many. (i.e. rise/run*100*100)

Using "degrees", in addition to being too high, the highest slopes are also in the wrong locations. (i.e. the steepest areas according to the analysis are the tops of lakes)

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks!
-Nathan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
searching the forums (previous and present) would indicate that the most common cause of this situation is that you have a file with decimal degree coordinates and elevations in either meters or feet.  Projecting the file to a suitable projection (ie UTM, state plane etc etc) which has the same x, y, z coordinates will probably solve your problem.  Search the help files for "Project Tool" to start

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
searching the forums (previous and present) would indicate that the most common cause of this situation is that you have a file with decimal degree coordinates and elevations in either meters or feet.  Projecting the file to a suitable projection (ie UTM, state plane etc etc) which has the same x, y, z coordinates will probably solve your problem.  Search the help files for "Project Tool" to start
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Dragontoad

You're right.. after projecting into UTM, the slopes came out normal.  Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos