Can you define the difference between a feature layer and an event layer?

Jump to solution
08-28-2014 10:40 AM
CamBarnard
New Contributor III

Several people have mentioned "event layers" in reference to "feature layers". As I've poked around in the Esri documentation I haven't found a concise explanation for an "event layer". I suspect this may be an older term that isn't currently in use so I put the question out there to all you experienced GIS geeks ... what is an "event layer" and what is the fundamental difference between an "event layer" and a "feature layer". Thank you in advance and both helpful and correct answers will be flagged!

-Cam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Occasional Contributor III

An "event layer" is the result of geometry being dynamically generated from a tabular source.  A "feature layer" points to data whose geometry is already defined in a feature class.  For example: you have a non-geometric table of xy coordinates.  You use a tool to generate point geometry--features.  The resultant layer, which is not yet stored in a geodatabase, is an "event layer."  If you export the event layer and store it in a geodatabase as a feature class, viewing it in an mxd will be a "feature layer."

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Cam,

in what context are talking (ArcGIS Desktop, Javascript API, Flex...).

Tim

0 Kudos
CamBarnard
New Contributor III

Good clarification question Tim. I was thinking specifically in the context of layers created using ArcGIS Desktop and hosted in ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor III

An "event layer" is the result of geometry being dynamically generated from a tabular source.  A "feature layer" points to data whose geometry is already defined in a feature class.  For example: you have a non-geometric table of xy coordinates.  You use a tool to generate point geometry--features.  The resultant layer, which is not yet stored in a geodatabase, is an "event layer."  If you export the event layer and store it in a geodatabase as a feature class, viewing it in an mxd will be a "feature layer."