AnsweredAssumed Answered

Spatial index in file GDB question

Question asked by peterlen on Aug 26, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 by peterlen

We are using ArcGIS 10.0 and I am using Java ArcObjects to populate file geodatabase feature classes.  My question deals with spatial indexes on those feature classes.  Everything I come across indicates that ArcGIS will automatically add a spatial index to file geodatabase feature classes.  We have several hundred feature classes and an INTERSECTS location search can take a bit of time.  This is what prompted me to start to look into the index thing.  When I look at the feature class properties for one of the feature classes (in ArcCatalog), I can see in the "Indexes" tab that there is a FDO_OBJECTID listed in the Attribute Indexes box and OBJECTID listed below it in the Fields box.  I assume that the FDO_OBJECTID is referring to the feature's shape (geometry) since when I click the Add button (to add a different index), I see other column values likeour custom column attributes and the Shape_Length and Shape_Area, but no SHAPE column.  If that is the case, then I guess the feature classes do have a spatial index set.  When I look at the bottom of the Indexes tab, however, I can see that the 3 grids are all defined with 0.000000 and it has the text "This feature class has a spatial index that will be built later".  This makes me think that it might have a spatial index but that it isn't fully functional.  Based on that information, can someone tell me if my spatial indexes are indeed there and are workring properly as far as you can tell, or do I need to do the "recalculate" on these indexes to get the index(es) in optimal search form.

Thanks - Peter

Outcomes