Select to view content in your preferred language

Order of Feature Templates Not Honored in ArcGIS Online

08-25-2014 01:53 PM
PaulStephenson
Frequent Contributor

I've found that most of the layout from feature templates set in ArcMap carry over to ArcGIS Online. However the ordering of symbology per layers is not being honored. I have a layer for instance, that has a few dozen different symbols that it could be displayed as depending on the symbol field value. In ArcMap (10.2), the names corresponding to the symbols are displayed in alphabetical order for ease of finding and using them while creating new features. But when the Layers are published as a feature service, the ordering seems random within a webmap. Am I missing a step here or is a known issue?

Paul

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

What you've described does sound like a known issue: NIM086149 "Feature Service Field Types are not ordered correctly on REST endpoint."

If you check the REST endpoint for the feature layer, you should see that the order corresponds to Field Types. I believe this behavior only occurs with ArcGIS Server services and not ArcGIS Online hosted feature services. The bug is being addressed and the documented work around is to use subtypes to define the order of the editing templates at REST (will not work if other domains are set on the feature).

Sorry for the inconvenience, hope this helps

-Daniel

0 Kudos
PaulStephenson
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply Daniel. That does seem to be the issue. I was hoping to get away from subtypes for this case. The service is hosted on ArcGIS Online. That issue was logged nearly two years ago, must not be a priority.

Paul

0 Kudos
AnthonyBurgon1
Deactivated User

Hey Paul - we also are faced with this issue, but on ArcGIS Server 10.2.2, and it would be great if this could be resolved.

What we are presented with is a mixed bag list of templates that people have to search through - see pic, and note the length of the scroll bar.

FeatureTemplate.PNG

Even if we had a default user experience where an alphabetical list occurred - that would be far better than what is going on now - let alone being able to configure feature templates and group them based on some actual logic (reminds me of ArcMap 8-9.0 where the layer list was not even alphabetical)

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Frequent Contributor

Any chance this issue NIM086149 "Feature Service Field Types are not ordered correctly on REST endpoint." has been fixed in a higher version of ArcGIS Enterprise? I'm trapped on ArcGIS Server version 10.3.1 and just encountered the problem where the Types are arranged randomly in the Web AppBuilder edit template. We will be upgrading later this year and I don't really want to do the subtype workaround unless the problem is still not fixed.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Alum
0 Kudos