Select to view content in your preferred language

Overlapping of text labels

08-22-2014 06:02 AM
BhavinSanghani
Frequent Contributor

How can we avoid overlapping of text labels on map? e.g. I need to show multiple addresses on the map. I search them using geocode service and display them on map using TextSymbol and highlight address point using SimpleMarkerSymbol. When the addresses are very close, then they address labels get overlapped on each other. If I zoom more then all the addresses may not display together when I search them. Is there anyway to fix this issue? See attached how two address have been overlapped.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I know this might be overdoing it, but in my sample here, I have create a right-click menu with which you can move and edit text.

http://jsfiddle.net/timw1984/dzs68o4t/embedded/result/

0 Kudos
MichaelGriffin
Deactivated User

Bhavin,

Did you ever resolve your text overlapping problem?   Yes or no? 

Did you try changing the individual layer properties under label?    You can change the text size, font, and such. 

Under the other options tab you can pick different placement options as well.   You might wish to explore that.

For even more fun and excitement.   Try this.

In table of contents click - Layers - properties.

Under the general tab,  change label engine to Maplex Label Engine. 

Now go to your individual (selectable) layer, under properties - labels - placement options and view the new options.   You now have - label position - fitting strategy - label density - conflict resolution. You should be able to set up something that you like that does not overlap by using these 4 tabs.   

There are more options as well.   Like converting labels to annotation then you can physically move the annotation to a position that you like.   But this option is best for creating maps to be printed.    And can be time consuming.

griff

BhavinSanghani
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Griff to reply on this post.

I haven't resolved it yet.

I am yet to try out your suggestions. But it looks the points you have mentioned are limited to ArcMap.

In my case, I show map dynamically from the mapservice and perform search of the address over geocoding rest end point. As soon as I find the address entered and it's geometry over the rest, I drop one symbol on the map with the address text on that geometry.

Do you think that label fitting strategy can be controlled while using rest endpoint?

0 Kudos
MichaelGriffin
Deactivated User

I am not sure if this strategy will work or not.

I am not familiar with your example. However I feel it should work if it

is being done within ArcMap. If it is a different program... you might

need to ask others.

Mike

0 Kudos