Custom configuration not working for multiple sections using Map Journal?

Jump to solution
08-13-2014 01:24 PM
AnnaFischer
New Contributor

I currently have 4 sections on a Map Journal App that each use the same web map under the main stage. What I would like to do is custom configure each section by location, content, and popup. I can usually get through the customizations for the first two sections, but when I get to the third one it won't let me save the customizations and freezes up on me-- I chose one of the custom configuration options, set it, and then save it, it doesn't save and when I try to click on it again, it is grayed out and reads "Loading..." The Loading never clears and I have to reload the map. Even after I reload, it doesn't work. I've tried re-saving the main stage map, using a different main stage map (but with the same content). I even created a new application and tried to re-do everything, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas??

The following is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 1.14.05 PM.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

I reproduced your Journal to debug it. The issue is related to the popup configuration of the section "Columbus bumps into Cuba".

An error is happening when you edit that section that make it impossible to continue editing the Journal.

But it looks like at the end the popup configuration is working.

So you won't be able to edit your Journal properly if you configure popup on that webmap before we get that fixed in next release. But you may be able to configure everything if the last thing you configure on each section is the popup. So basically you have to save and reload the app after each configuration.

For example if I go to editing section 3 without editing section 2 in the same session it's ok.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

Sorry for inconvenience. Could you share your Map Journal with me?

I never spotted this issue, there should be a workaround.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AnnaFischer
New Contributor

Sure. Is there a certain way that I should share it with you? Here is the link: http://bit.ly/1pOeXSg

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

I reproduced your Journal to debug it. The issue is related to the popup configuration of the section "Columbus bumps into Cuba".

An error is happening when you edit that section that make it impossible to continue editing the Journal.

But it looks like at the end the popup configuration is working.

So you won't be able to edit your Journal properly if you configure popup on that webmap before we get that fixed in next release. But you may be able to configure everything if the last thing you configure on each section is the popup. So basically you have to save and reload the app after each configuration.

For example if I go to editing section 3 without editing section 2 in the same session it's ok.

AnnaFischer
New Contributor

Thank you for figuring out where the problem lies. It looks like I can get everything working correctly if the very last thing I do is configure the pop-ups starting with the last entry and working forward. Just hope I don't decide to make a change after I configure the popups because then I will have to redo everything.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

You are welcome.

I don't think your Journal will ever go in a state where you can't edit it.

The error occur after you have edited a section with popup configured.

It's just that you will have to reload the app after you edit each section...

0 Kudos
StevenKincaid
New Contributor III

Hi Gregory,

I also had similar issues like Anna, and I was able to work around it using the methods described above.  On a simpler note, I have noticed 2 small bugs with the Map Journal.  1.  When I open up the journal in Internet Explorer, version 9, it initially gives me an error and I always have to refresh to get it to work.  This doesn't happen with Google Chrome, but I would prefer it to work perfectly across all platforms.  2.  The large back button at the top of the screen does absolutely nothing.  Am I missing something? and is there a way this can be removed.  I am a novice user with not JavaScript experience, but I understand that I can download the app template and edit it,  But I'm not sure on which program I use to configure the template, and how to get it back into AGOL.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

HI Stephen,

Thanks for your feedback. We are currently working on a maintenance release of Map Journal, it's due for late September and both of your issues as well as Anna's issue will be fixed.

From now you could hide the back button using CSS but you will need basic knowledge of web development, see Map Journal GitHub‌ repository. That back button is supposed to only appear when you use a Main Stage action but a bug was making it to appear when navigating between sections. Was that your issue? Or was it that after using a Main Stage action? If you can share a link to your Journal I would like to take a look just to make sure it's not another issue.

0 Kudos
StevenKincaid
New Contributor III

Here is the link to the Map Journal

http://bit.ly/1lrSgPm

Thank you for the quick response!

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Thanks Stephen,

That's a new issue for me. Stay tuned for next AGOL release!

From now you can workaround by downloading the template and add one little customization to hide that back button.

If you want to go for it, follow the instructions on GitHub to deploy the app on a webserver, when you arrive at the customization step, add the following rule:

<body class="claro">
  <style>
  /* CUSTOM CSS RULES */
  #backButton {

display: none !important;

}
  </style>

0 Kudos