AnsweredAssumed Answered

Default version keeps changing and stops saving edits when needed.

Question asked by msbsmith on Aug 6, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 by msbsmith

Hi,

When creating a new featureclass in my sde database (10.2) I register it as versioned so that it can be edited.  So over many years I now have lots of versioned, editable featureclasses in my database.

I'm getting in to an increasingly frustrating situation where a user can't save edits when they want because the default version has changed.  They have to try again and again to save until the save is accepted.  Similarly, if I need to load features from a shapefile for example into a featureclass in the database (using ArcCatalog), it can process the load and at the end pop up with a message saying the load didn't work because the default version has changed since I started.  This can be a pain if loading thousands of records because it can waste a lot of time looking like it's loading, only to fail at the end because the default version has change, I then have to start again, and again.

The default version seems to be database-wide, not a default per featureclass, so a change to one featureclass impacts on someone trying to save changes to a completely different featureclass.  I'm sure it can't be designed to work this way (preventing saving and loading so frequently), so what is best practice here, how can I overcome this?

Thanks,

Mark.

Outcomes