shapefile data to excel possible?

07-30-2014 09:09 AM
AlinaMadita
New Contributor

Hello,

It is me again asking (Hopefully) an easy question.

I had 5 points from which I constructed a line. I deleted all  of the initial points besides the first and last and constructed 46 points on this line.

I need the GPS data from these 48 points (which are one shapefile) preferaply in a format so that I can copy and paste it into an excel sheet.

I thought it might easily be possible by copy or save the attribute table, but this only shows 0 for the lat and long value for the constructed points (see attachment).

Is there an easy way around this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

All those points that are valued 0 cross the board are in your feature class/shape file, right?  If so right click on the field heading/name and select Calculate Geometry.  Choose the appropriate units and you'll be good to go.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

If you open the ArcToolbox, and go to Conversion Tools >> Excel, you can use the tool "Table to Excel".

For adding xy, there is also a tool - Data Management Tools >> Features >> Add XY Coordinates

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

also, if you make a copy of the dbf file from your shapefile on your harddisk, excel should be able to open your attribute table as a table.  If that doesn't work, you can always change the extension of the copy dbf you made to a .xls(old excel file format) and excel should be able to open it that way.

0 Kudos
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

Try the calculate geometry trick as mentioned earlier to get your lat/long's then to export the table >> open up the attribute table click on "table options" (the first one on the left at the top) >> go down to "Export" >>click on the folder symbol >> find a place to save it (I usually just do desktop or any folder really) >> click on the drop down box next to 'Save as Type' and pick Text file >> name the file >> Save >> Ok

Go to your desktop >> open up the text file and it should default opening it up to Excel. Or open excel and open the text file within Excel.

0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, the way Alice Pence‌ described is one of the easiest. It sounds complicated but once you have done it couple of times it will become pretty natural.

Jim Cousins‌ has a great suggestion too, just remember that you can easily locate any tool if you use the search window‌.

0 Kudos