Basic question about ArcMap

07-17-2014 03:12 PM
JustinMedley
New Contributor

Hey guys,

I am very new to ESRI and the Arc suite of software. I am using ArcMAP, and simply trying to do the following task from a textbook:

View>Toolbars>Editor

Editor>Start Editing

On the Editor toolbar, set the Task drop-down menu to Select Features Using an Area

Go to the Selection tab at the bottom of the table of contents, and make sure that the Land Use layer is the only one selectable...

The 3rd step is the one giving me a problem. Do you guys think it is because of the different versions of ArcMAP being used by me and the textbook? Or is it something else...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Click the arrow looking button(edit tool) next to the editor drop down on the editor tool bar and you should be able to click and select by area.

What version of ArcGIS are you running and what book title and edition are you using?

0 Kudos
JustinMedley
New Contributor

I am using version 10.2.2.3552, and the book title is GIS Tutorial 2 (Spatial Analysis Workbook) and uses ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 / ArcGIS 9 / Arc View (I am not sure what the difference between the three is). I did what you said regarding the arrow button, but I am still unable to do what the workbook asks. Thanks for the help...

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I've never used 9.3(started on 10.0), but I can assume there has been a significant difference in the interface from ArcGis Desktop 9.3 to 10.2.  Is the problem you are having with "On the Editor toolbar, set the Task drop-down menu to Select Features Using an Area" or "Go to the Selection tab at the bottom of the table of contents, and make sure that the Land Use layer is the only one selectable...".  For the 2nd one, you need only right-click on the layer in the Table of Contents, go to the selection arrow, and select "make this the only selectable layer" or on the Table of Contents on the top there are 5 icons at the top, the 4th one is List by Selection and you can toggle layers to be selectable and not selectable, toggle the layer you need to selectable and other layers to Not Selectable.  If it is the first line I mentioned, you can use the step I mentioned in my first post to click and drag a box that will select.

Perhaps if posted more of what the tutorial is trying to do, we could give you instructions on how to accomplish it on ArcGIS 10.2

Also I'd highly recommend that you find a workbook that covers the current version of the software you are using.

0 Kudos
AlexanderNohe1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Justin Medley‌,

1)  What version of ArcMap are you using? (10.1, 10.2, ...)

2)  What license level do you have for Arc Map? (Basic, Standard, Advanced)

3)  What service packs do you have installed?

4)  What operating system are you using?

5)  What version is your book written for?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks!

JustinMedley
New Contributor

1) I am using the version 10.2.2

2) I have the Advanced License

3) When you say service packs do you mean like 3DAnalyst, ArcScan, Geostatistical Analyst, etc? If so I have those 3 plus Network Analyst, Publisher, Schematics, Spatial Analyst, and Tracking Analyst. If you don't mean these, then I am not sure

4) Windows 7 Home Premium

5) The book is for ArcGIS 9

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
StaceMaples
Occasional Contributor III

The Selection "View" of the Table of Contents is now at the top of the Table of Contents. I think its the last, or second to last view button.

0 Kudos
CesarDuran2
New Contributor

Do you have more than one datasource?

If you have more than one datasource be sure that after you press the Start Editing button you "select" the data source in which the Land Use Layer is.

IF everything is correct with the data source under the List By Selection tab make a right click to your "Land Use Layer" and select "Make this the only selectable layer".

0 Kudos
JustinMedley
New Contributor

Hey everybody, I was able to solve this problem...thanks for all your help! I have posted a new question...so if anybody knows anything about spatial analysis, please take a look at it!

0 Kudos