ArcGIS Online Basemaps

07-15-2014 05:50 AM
ZacharyGraves
New Contributor

I have two questions regarding ArcGIS Online; my boss has requested that I download the Bing Maps Aerial from ArcGIS Online and upload it to the company share file.  One, is this possible?  I would imagine yes since the file is accessible via the web.  Two, how do these downloads work?  When I hit the open button, a data frame is created called Bing Maps Aerial.  A data layer is also created called Base Layer, but nothing is view-able in the data or layout view.  Any help would be greatly appreciated; I have never used this service before.  Thank you very much.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

Zachary:

Neither Bing Maps, Esri's ArcGIS Onine maps, nor Google maps can be "downloaded" and stored on your server to be shared with others.  These are all streaming services.  Esri's gallery of background maps can be used directly for free in ArcMap, ArcGIs Explorer Desktop and ArcGIS Online.  Bing maps are available for use in ArcGIS applications (see link, below) by obtaining a Bing Maps Key from Microsoft and then applying that key to the software or services of your choice.

http://downloads2.esri.com/ArcGISOnline/docs/bing_faq1.pdf

0 Kudos