build from the developer version of the playlist story map template not working

Jump to solution
05-19-2014 12:44 PM
SudhirPonnappan
New Contributor
I downloaded the developer version of the playlist storytelling template and followed the instructions for the github page. As suggested, I downloaded and installed the required software. When I go ahead and make a build, the contents of the built deploy folder and differ from the what was included in the original deploy folder.

On taking a closer look it appears that the javascript code is not being minified. It does not create the Playlist-viewer.min.js or the oldIE.min.js file.

I have attached a zipped deploy folder that was created from the build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Try running this command:
npm install -g grunt-cli

then run the build command again. Note, the above command may require admin privileges (e.g. sudo on mac/linux).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you have all the required software installed (Git, Ruby, Node)?

Have you run the following commands in your project directory:
bundle install
npm install

Have you modified any of the JavaScript files? Do you get any errors in the terminal when you run the build command?
0 Kudos
SudhirPonnappan
New Contributor
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I have installed the required software (Git, Ruby, Ruby Dev, Node JS).
Attached are the screenshot in a word document.

I have run the commands in the project directory and got no obvious error messages. I also changed the source code to limit the max allowablePoints to 5 and changed the renderer to be a simple renderer with a red marker icon. The changes are reflected when I run the command and check http://localhost:4567/
bundle exec middleman

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33928[/ATTACH]

The build is not being created correctly. Especially, the Playlist-viewer.min.js file is not being created. Not sure why.
Appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you run the follow command in the terminal

bundle exec middleman build

Then save what get's printed to console and attach it so I can see if there are any errors.
0 Kudos
SudhirPonnappan
New Contributor
Attached is the log. Thanks.
0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
Try running this command:
npm install -g grunt-cli

then run the build command again. Note, the above command may require admin privileges (e.g. sudo on mac/linux).
0 Kudos
SudhirPonnappan
New Contributor
That seems to have done the trick. Could you please explain what this did to make it work?
Greatly appreciate you help.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor
You have to first have Grunt-CLI installed (seperate from the npm install) before you are able to access the grunt command in the project. I've update the GitHub readme to help other users.
0 Kudos