ArcGIS Server Monitor

02-26-2014 11:01 AM
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
We have yet to implement a solution for monitoring Server Apps, Services, Data, etc and I???m looking for some input as to possible options that you???ve come across or use.  I???ve attached a crude diagram of some of what we???re optimally looking for in a solution.  There are a number of programs out there that do parts of these but I haven???t found anything that will manage everything ??? not sure if it exists.

Needs
The ability to manage and query relationships between Servers, Data, Services, and Applications
??? Notifying proper authorities with changes.  If I'm updating a database schema I want to know who I need to contact with related services and applications.  Likewise with Service changes I need to know contact information for the apps that are using that service as well as the contact people for the data being used by the service.  Or if I'm upgrading ArcGIS server to a new version I need to notify the owners of all apps, services, and data
??? Monitor and Summarize Server Loads
??? Monitor and Summarize Service/App usage
??? The app should be as automated as possible so minimal hand entering of information is required
??? Flexible enough to accommodate UofM MapServer apps/mapfiles as well as ArcGIS Server.  We run both in our shop.

Thanks!

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ChrisPouliot
New Contributor III
Here is a thread I had with the System Monitor Team Lead.  It looks like there are a number of pieces not accounted for with System Monitor.  My most recent email, asking if our additional information could be stored in the DB was never answered by Andrew.  If we had the ability to customize around this Monitor tool then yes, this would be a viable option.

=====================================
From: Pouliot, Christopher (MNIT) [mailto:Christopher.Pouliot@state.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:21 AM
To: SystemMonitorTool
Subject: A few questions

Andrew,

Thanks for the quick response!  Are these things that I can store directly in the same MongoDB database?  It would be helpful to keep all server related stuff together.

Also, do you foresee this type of functionality being added to the System Monitor?

Thanks,

Chris

====================================================
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:18 AM
To: Pouliot, Christopher (MNIT); SystemMonitorTool
Subject: RE: A few questions

Hi Chris.
Unfortunately, no.  System Monitor is not aware of these many to many relationships.  You�??d have to develop a custom script.

To accomplish what you are asking:
1.       your apps have to list services used
2.       if services are secured, you can use admin api to get a list of people
3.       loop through all services and underlying arcmap, gp, etc. and get database workspace property

Best Regards.

Andrew Sakowicz
Enterprise Implementation Team Lead | Esri Professional services
380 New York St | Redlands, CA 92373 | USA
T: 909 793 2853 x2862 | asakowicz@esri.com

==========================================================
From: Pouliot, Christopher (MNIT) [mailto:Christopher.Pouliot@state.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:25 AM
To: SystemMonitorTool
Subject: A few questions

Hi.  We are looking at System Monitor for our site but I�??ve got a few situations that I�??d like to address to see if System Monitor can support them:

If I will be restarting one of our database servers I need to know what Services and Apps access data from that database. 
If I am upgrading a server to a new version of ArcGIS server can I generate a list of all the Contact people for the services and/or applications on that server?

So, basically, can I get information for:
�?�         Any given app �?? services it uses, data the services access
�?�         Any given service �?? apps that reference it, data the service accesses
�?�         Any given database �?? services that access it, apps that reference the services that access the data

Can System Monitor tell me that?  I would find it VERY helpful.

Also, we use UofM Mapserver for some of our maps as well.  Could we store information about those map apps in the same DB as the ESRI stuff?

What I�??m asking for might seem unreasonable but it is what we are looking for in a Server Manager app.

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos