twopikachus

Question about heightmap interpolation

Discussion created by twopikachus on Jan 7, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 28, 2014 by CWilkins-esristaff
Hi there,

I'm using the cityengine trial and trying to figure the software out and whether or not it's something we can use.

We want to use the program to create streets and fill out the city with procedural buildings with a custom landmass.

What I did was map the landmass with a gradient and render out an orthographic top-view to create a heightmap, then used the heightmap to create terrain in cityengine. However, the terrain is very stepped and not smooth. The image below shows that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30313[/ATTACH]

3ds Max on the left, Cityengine on the right.

I've tried using a TIF, a png, jpeg, targa, everything with different bit depths for the heightmap. I've read that 16-bit tiff is the best for this application, but it's yielding the same results no matter what image format I use.

The terrain is rather tall and this sort of thing doesn't seem to happen, or at least not be so pronounced, when the terrain is shorter but that's not a possibility for our project.

I'd like to know if there's some way to fix the stepping problem or if it's a trial thing or what, because I'm totally stumped.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

Outcomes