Fly collision detection

Jump to solution
04-02-2013 02:42 AM
oyleiste
Occasional Contributor
Hello

I use ArcMap for load and show DTED data. I'm able to use LLOS (linear line of sight) between two points.
What I want is fly collision detection. It means that if you fly between two points -on a specific elevation-, will you hit a surface or not.
For better understanding, I created this picture:[ATTACH=CONFIG]23126[/ATTACH]

I have no idea about how to implement it. If you have, your idea will be appreciated.

By the way, this VB tool is what I want but it uses ArcScene.

Thank you
Sincerely
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oyleiste
Occasional Contributor
Thank you very much for your reply. I got a copy of your suggestion to my PC for future uses.

Unfortunately I can't use Geoproccesing Tools. I mean, I'm not allowed to. So, I decided to write this on my own.

I create a polyline (which is a single line indeed) using FROM and TO points. Then, I get elevation of 100 points between FROM and TO points.
It works. But I should replace 100 with significant data.

Thank you again for your helpful reply. I appreciate it.
Sincerely

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Before trying to re-invent the wheel, I think you should look at the ESRI ArcGIS for Aviation product. It has tools for creating and visualizing obstacle surfaces:

ArcGIS for Aviation: Key Features
0 Kudos
oyleiste
Occasional Contributor
Before trying to re-invent the wheel, I think you should look at the ESRI ArcGIS for Aviation product. It has tools for creating and visualizing obstacle surfaces:

ArcGIS for Aviation: Key Features

Thank you mboeringa2010, but it's my fault to not mention that I want it for my own project which is in C#. I can't use another product. I should do it programmatically.
Well, any idea?
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Oyle,

I'm just thinking off the top of my head here. You have a DTM and 2 points, your FROM point and your TO point both at the same elevation. You could do this:

1. Create a FeatureClass containing a single polyline created by you connecting the 2 points

2. Call the Polyline to Raster GeoProcessing tool to create a raster where your line is 1 and background is nodata

3. Call the Extract by Mask  and extract out the elevation pixels under your mask

4. Run the Extract by attribute geoprocessing tool extracting pixels >= your FROM point elevation.

5. Optionally convert the raster back into polylines if required.

If you used the geo processing tool Points To Line you could actually achieve all this is modelbuilder in a matter of minutes without the need to write any code...
0 Kudos
oyleiste
Occasional Contributor
Thank you very much for your reply. I got a copy of your suggestion to my PC for future uses.

Unfortunately I can't use Geoproccesing Tools. I mean, I'm not allowed to. So, I decided to write this on my own.

I create a polyline (which is a single line indeed) using FROM and TO points. Then, I get elevation of 100 points between FROM and TO points.
It works. But I should replace 100 with significant data.

Thank you again for your helpful reply. I appreciate it.
Sincerely
0 Kudos