�??Input database connection�?� in case of �??reconcile versions�?�,

01-26-2013 09:54 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
�??Input database connection�?� in case of �??reconcile versions�?�,

I�??m wondering which connection should be filled out in the �??Input database connection�?�.

Please, have a look on the screenshot below, which connection should be filled out?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21091[/ATTACH]

Is it the parent �??Sa_D1.sde�?�?
Child �??u1_D1.sde�?�?

Thank you for the help,

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Jamal,

The Help says that the Input database connection defaults "to use the workspace defined in the environment".

Since I already see the versions filled out in the dialog, I don't think there is any need to fill in the "Input database connection", as it probably just uses the connection information from the context from which you opened the option (in your case I guess the Geodatabase Administration dialog).

I think the "Input database connection" text line is just an "extra" available for when you use the Reconcile Versions option straight from ArcToolbox, in a ModelBuilder model, or in Python scripting, when the connection isn't yet defined. It would have been better if unnecessary options were hidden in specific cases like this, but I guess this is the small price we need to pay for something like the flexible ModelBuilder and ArcToolbox framework.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

The Help says that the Input database connection defaults "to use the workspace defined in the environment".

Since I already see the versions filled out in the dialog, I don't think there is any need to fill in the "Input database connection", as it probably just uses the connection information from the context from which you opened the option (in your case I guess the Geodatabase Administration dialog).

I think the "Input database connection" text line is just an "extra" available for when you use the Reconcile Versions option straight from ArcToolbox, in a ModelBuilder model, or in Python scripting, when the connection isn't yet defined. It would have been better if unnecessary options were hidden in specific cases like this, but I guess this is the small price we need to pay for something like the flexible ModelBuilder and ArcToolbox framework.

Many thanks Marco for the useful input.

Very much appreciated

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos