Mozilla Firefox - Script Error

Jump to solution
12-27-2012 07:23 AM
ConradSchaefer
New Contributor II
Hello
Within the last month (if i recall correctly) a script error has been appearing for me despite being in Firefox.
It says

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: resource:///components/nsPrompter.js:434 "

I have attached a screenshot. [ATTACH=CONFIG]20212[/ATTACH]
I am unable to save within Arcgis.com map viewer or exit via "My content" and so on.

This did not always happen. It use to be that Firefox ran everything smoothly.

I am not getting this error in Chrome and I haven't even bothered checking in IE because it crashes before opening.
I was able to get permission for coworkers to move to Firefox. For some reason Chrome is not allowed (?) at our workplace. In other words, we need this to work in Firefox.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I can reproduce the problem. We'll need to look at it more closely. This map, however, is 4mb in size, which is on the big side. 5mb is getting to the maximum size that will actually perform. So size may be the issue, and it's exceeding the abilities of Firefox.

Even though you may not have a lot of polygon features, the polygons have a lot of vertices in them--see attached image. These all get stored and have to be sent from the server to the client. This also contributes to the size. When you add a layer, you can choose to generalize the data, which will remove some redundant vertices. However, to really make this perform, you would need to generalize the data in ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share your web map so I can take a look at it?

This error typically occurs when you have too many layers added to your map and it becomes too large for the browser to draw.

Here's a related post with an explanation of layer limits.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ConradSchaefer
New Contributor II
Mike,
Thanks for replying. I don't believe it is an issue with the number of features I'm trying to upload or host in my map nor the size but you are the expert so I'll keep that in mind.  To me, it appears that regardless of map size it always occurs in Firefox when I attempt to save my map. I have to be in Chrome to save a map.

Here is a map link, http://bit.ly/UKmHa1 . This map has about 200 points and about 275 polygons. I can save in Chrome with no script error but in Firefox I cannot save. Even if I delete the points and polygons I cannot save.

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I can reproduce the problem. We'll need to look at it more closely. This map, however, is 4mb in size, which is on the big side. 5mb is getting to the maximum size that will actually perform. So size may be the issue, and it's exceeding the abilities of Firefox.

Even though you may not have a lot of polygon features, the polygons have a lot of vertices in them--see attached image. These all get stored and have to be sent from the server to the client. This also contributes to the size. When you add a layer, you can choose to generalize the data, which will remove some redundant vertices. However, to really make this perform, you would need to generalize the data in ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you running Firebug? This also seems to cause the problem to occur.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ConradSchaefer
New Contributor II
Mike
Until you mentioned Firebug I didn't know what it was. I do not use or have it installed.

Great tip on reducing the number of vertices in my polygon files, by the way. I simplified my polygons in desktop and re-uploaded. I did this for most of my maps and it dropped the map sizes down by mb's.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JerryJones1
New Contributor
I am having a similar problem - except I am starting in SAFE MODE (and still have the problem). Very frustrating.

This is the message I am getting:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: https://mail.google.com/_/mail-static/_/js/main/m_i,t/rt=h/ver=hNp-bC4BSMQ.en./sv=1/am=!yvlu5erXbzf1...

The reason I am starting in SAFE MODE is that since the last update, it is the only way I can get FF to work much at all.

Thanks for your kind help.

Firefox 17.0.1
Mac OS: 10.6.8
Apple MacBook Pro
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
jdavid69,

It is likely that your web map is surpassing the capabilties of the firefox browser on the mac. How many layers and features are in your web map? Check the size of it in your My Content. If you can share the web map publicly and post the URL here, we can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SamLarsen
New Contributor III
jdavid69,

Try Safari on the Mac, it might perform better.

Sam
0 Kudos
JerryJones1
New Contributor
Mike, Thanks for your kind reply.
1) I have no clue how to find the web map. Have searched for both it and "My Content." Nothing comes up. Am on a Mac (10.6.8), using Firefox 17.0.1.  Happy to send it if I can find it.
2) Last few days, things have gotten worse.
- Lots of spinning beach balls.
- Very sluggish
- If I go away from the computer for awhile, when I return, FF is almost always frozen. Requires a restart to get any activity (and/or to get rid of the spinning beach ball).
- And worst of all, now, 1-3 times per day, am getting Kernel Panic attacks that totally shut down my computer. And each time it happens, it seems to be when I'm trying to do something with Firefox. (Seems to especially happen when shutting FF down.) I also have to force quit FF often. Just holds up.
3) A few things you need to know.
- Problems seemed to start with last update.
- I have three windows open, with several tabs on each (most related to current projects). I realize this might be part of my problem, but the problem did not exist before last update (with same windows/tabs config).
- Am always starting in safe mode, but the problems still exist. (In fact, I seem to notice very little difference between starting in safe mode and not doing so. Pretty much the same problems in both. Only slightly worse when not in safe mode.)
- Have emptied cache a couple times. It seemed like the first time I did this, there was a noticeable improvement. But it was short-lived.
- I seem to be having no problems with other programs on my computer, only FF.

This is becoming very frustrating - really need to resolve this. Thanks again for any and all help. Jerry

jdavid69,

It is likely that your web map is surpassing the capabilties of the firefox browser on the mac. How many layers and features are in your web map? Check the size of it in your My Content. If you can share the web map publicly and post the URL here, we can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos