Conditional display - dynamic text on data driven page

11-09-2012 07:51 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
In a grid map in Layout view with data driven pages enabled, I added dynamic text to show the grid number of grid squares adjoining the square that has the focus (i.e., GridNumber_S. GridNumber_E, etc). This works fine until a square is at the end of a row or column, where ther is no adjoing square on that side. Then the text displays '[empty]'.

Short of adding empty spaces to all the empty fields to trick the dynamic text engine, is there a way to only display the text if there's text in the field? A simple If statement would do the job, but I don't see anywhere to do this. Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

That is one of the best answers I've ever seen. Exactly to the point. Thank you very much. Have a great weekend.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Where's the answer? Maybe I'm blind since they've changed this website format...again. But I don't see it.

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Seems like answers are getting lost when old posts are getting ported over.

The answer can be found in the help. For example, in this topic:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/page-layouts/using-dynamic-text-with-data-driven-page...

The brief answer is, when the string is empty, you can tell it to use any user-defined default text (or just make it blank; not sure if it would need a blank space as a sort of place holder or if it can be totally empty) by doing something like this (adjusted for your particular case, of course):

<dyn type="page" property="PageName_NW" emptyStr=""/>

0 Kudos