Custom Coordinate Systems

04-28-2016 06:48 AM
AdamRoestenburg
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am looking for a widget that will return X,Y values of a user defined custom coordinate system. I've been reading into generating a WKID or WKT from a local or custom coordinate system as an option to then use the OOTB coordinate or measure widget, but have not found anything concrete. Does anyone have some detail on how to take a custom reference system and generate a published WKID or WKT?

Regards

Adam

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Adam,

I do not think that you can make your own WKID. These are standards that are created in order to index a large range of coordinate systems.

Here is a list of WKIDs for projected coordinate systems:

ArcGIS REST API

Here is a list of WKIDs for geographic coordinate systems:

ArcGIS REST API

However, since WKT is just the text string of your projection file, maybe you can get this yourself? If you open a .prj file in a text editor like Notepad, you can see this string.

I apply custom coordinate systems to the GIS data that I publish on the web. But, since the web maps are in WGS 84 Web  Mercator projection, I think my data gets reprojected on the fly (at least, that is what I understand is happening). So I am not sure that you can 'publish' this custom coordinate system.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

I agree with Adrian.

You cannot "make" a WKID.

But you can use custom coordinate systems for you web maps.

In a internal portal recently, the entire portal was in a custom coordinate system. Just had to specify the basemaps first in this system.

As this was essentially closed to AGOL, everything worked okay.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Neil, that's a good point. Seems that once you dabble in Esri's basemaps, things will project to their liking. But if you host this yourself and close it off to AGOL, then you can do essentially what you want (custom coordinates and all).

0 Kudos
AbdulmoneamKharsa
New Contributor II

I think you can locate coordinates either by WKID and WKT because the spatial reference can be defined by both. example:

BIG-IP logout page 

0 Kudos
AbdulmoneamKharsa
New Contributor II

You can keep the coordinates in the custom coordinate system but when you publish the dataset just define the coordinates of the data frame in ArcMap as Web Mercator CS. Then publish the service.

However, in the Web map app you can develop a widget to locate the coordinates by using WKID or by WKT as an option.

0 Kudos