Select to view content in your preferred language

Web AppBuilder Custom Widget Development Workflow

Jump to solution
08-11-2020 01:04 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello All,

I am new to custom widget development.  I successfully followed the tutorial here:

Create a custom in-panel widget—ArcGIS Web AppBuilder (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

The demo custom widget deployed successfully and I was able to add it to my map.  I then tried to add more code to the Widget.js file, but none of the changes were reflected.  I made the changes with the AppBuilder server off.  Then I started AppBuilder, removed the widget from my map and then added it again.  None of the new code I added executed.  

I found a similar question here and the answer was to go into the server\apps\<app number>\widgets folder and edit the code directly in there.  After altering the code there I was able to see my changes.   Is that the normal workflow, or is there another way?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Damon,

This is a normal workflow. To help you understand. The client/stemapp folder is the "base" and all apps that are created are clones of the base "stem cell". So you begin your custom widget development in the client/stemapp/widgets folder but as soon as you add your widget to an app then you are working with a clone of the stemapp in the server/apps/[app#] folder and there is no longer any connection between the two.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Damon,

This is a normal workflow. To help you understand. The client/stemapp folder is the "base" and all apps that are created are clones of the base "stem cell". So you begin your custom widget development in the client/stemapp/widgets folder but as soon as you add your widget to an app then you are working with a clone of the stemapp in the server/apps/[app#] folder and there is no longer any connection between the two.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Just wanted to drop a big thanks!  All is clear now.