Select to view content in your preferred language

Measure area & length widget where geometry is adjustable?

02-03-2022 05:33 AM
JohnSasso2
Frequent Contributor

A problem I am seeing with the current measurement widgets is that they do not permit the line or polygon to be adjustable.    For example, suppose I draw a polygon for the area measurement, then find I have to make some adjustments to the polygon (e.g. extent parts of it).  With the current tool, I have to redo the poly, which can be a pain if it is complex.  Same for the line if doing a distance measurement.

It would be good to have an enhanced measurement tool which would allow you to create or delete vertices of the line or edges of the polygon, and report the area accordingly.  If there is such a widget I would be very interested in it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

John, I'm assuming you're talking about a widget in AGOL?  I just tried it with the basic measure area tool.  Once I finished the polygon, I was able to adjust the shape by pulling on the existing vertices.  I also managed to add one new vertex, but I'm not sure how.  The measurement adjusts accordingly as I stretch and pull the shape.

Also, I tried the basic measure line tool.  If I added vertices in the original measurement, I could later drag them around too, including the start and end points.  

Is that what you were looking for?

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Frequent Contributor

Hi Brynda.  I am sorry, I should have clarified that I am building a web app in Experience Builder and the widgets that come with EB as well as the custom widgets I have seen do not have the features I am looking for.  

Also, I went into AGOL (the new Map Viewer) and even that measuring tool does not have the features you mentioned.  Let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

I was using the new Map Viewer in AGOL.  If you hover over one of the vertices, it gets bigger and the cursor changes from an arrow to a hand.  Then you can drag the vertex around.  See in the screenshot that the upper vertex is bigger than the rest.

BryndaHatch_0-1643899266661.png

I'll look into the widget in Experience Builder and see if I can come up with an answer for you on that.

0 Kudos
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

John,

The measure widget in Experience Builder appears to work the same way.  I was able to create a shape to measure area, then drag the vertices around to adjust the shape.

BryndaHatch_1-1643899590512.png

0 Kudos
JohnSasso2
Frequent Contributor

Ah, I see what you are saying BUT the problem is you cannot add or delete vertices to, say, the polygon.  Let me clarify what I am getting at.  In EB, look at the Elevation Profile widget.  With this widget, I can sketch out the path with a polyline (see below).  Notice the small white dots on the line.  The white and orange dots on the line are the vertices I can move with, and I can easily add or remove vertices on the line in order to make more adjustments to the shape.  With the Elevation Profile widget, notice how as you make changes to the path, the profile info in the EP window changes accordingly.

Granted this is an example with a line, which is what I'd like, but I also need similar for a polygon.  I hope I have clarified things.  Thanks!

JohnSasso2_0-1643900161729.png

0 Kudos
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

John, 

Since what you are asking for is new functionality for an existing feature, I would recommend you enter it as an idea on this page: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-web-appbuilder-ideas

Thanks,

Brynda

0 Kudos