Identify Widget - Attribute Widget Link (don't waist valuable Map visibility)

09-24-2015 09:40 PM
RodWoodfordOld
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

I was wondering if it was possible to engage the Attribute Widget when using the default Identify Widget and in general many other searching widgets that get developed. My reasoning is that popups and widget search, etc displays that sit within the map display use up valuable map display space. Users loose that valuable map interface experience. I have started to use the Jewelry Box Theme from what's available, which would be the ideal candidate to resolving this issue, however the draw back at this stage in this theme is that you cant use multiple displays for docking and or tabbing from what I can gather. You can only set up one widget.

If the identify widget could be configure to allow the administrator to integrate with the attribute widget, set display settings, etc and allow for docking within a theme this would open up real estate for the end user to see the complete map display for a better experience. Maybe the identify widget could have extra configuration controls to allow for hiding of the search display if the point selector is used solely, with the user then simply clicking the on identify icon and then the map entity with the attribute table displaying the results and map zooming.

Please see image below of what I'm trying to achieve in WAB Developer edition to make the end users experience less frustrating with displays covering the map. I've configured the Enhanced Search widget in the jewelry box theme and it does a nice job because it talks to the attribute table and keeps the map display clean. A side question - Could this widget allow for custom field selection in the attribute table results display that is separate to the general selection? At the moment they are the same values.

This question is probably more broader then the title suggests, but at least it will start the conversation. I'm talking more about a corporate desktop experience not and mobile one in this context as there doesn't seem to be any designated theme developments in this area from what I can gather.

If I have got this wrong, please point me in the right direction.

cheers

Rod

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rod,

Just to clarify when you say

default Identify Widget

Are you talking about the click on a feature that has popups enabled and the results appear in the popup (some seem to call this ability "the default identify")? Or are you talking about my Identify Widget? It appears that you have my identify widget in your screen shot. I have never really considered the need for the Identify Widget to interact with the Attribute Table widget, but I do see your logic. I will consider this enhancement request for a future release.

What I envision is the Identify widget configuration to have an option for "display results in Attribute Table widget only"

A side question - Could this widget allow for custom field selection in the attribute table results display that is separate to the general selection?

This is possible but lead me to believe that you are still wanting the widget to have a results tab. Is this the case?

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was mainly talking about the default Identify Widget and was using yours as a good example of a work around. I'm glad you get my logic the users experience needs to be friendly but effective and l look forward to your inclusion of the "display results in attribute option". It would be good to have another option to turn on or off the results tab or attribute table results and configure different field options.

Hopefully ESRI can do something similar with the default Identify Widget.

cheers

Rod

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rod,

Your desired workflow can be achieved using the Popup Panel Widget Version 1.3 - 12/15/15

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Cheers Robert,

I'm currently on leave and will certainly be upgrading to 1.3 on my return. I'll provide you with some feedback in about 2 weeks. Thanks for your work on this one and all the other widgets.

Rod

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rod Woodford

Would you mind closing this thread out by marking it as answered.

RodWoodfordOld

Hi Robert,

I cant really mark it as answered as the popup widget is a work around. The real issue is integration and more configuration options available between searching/querying widgets and the attribute widget. I realize you can not do a lot of work in this area due to the lack of functionality within the attribute widget itself. Hopefully ESRI recognize this.

The popup widget is a fantastic tool and I can answer that part as correct, its been very useful in our business.

cheers

Rod

RodWoodfordOld

Hi Robert,

Would it be possible in your next release, etc to include the following;

1 a zoom to selected option.

2 clear selected.

3 clear all (you already have this).

4. allow the popup display to become active if the user selects a feature on the map, instead of the map popup displaying. This only occurs if the popup display is not active.

5. Not sure if this is possible but allow the administrator to control the popup display width. I guess this would be useful on all widget displays.

cheers

Rod

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rod,

These enhancements are suggested for with widget?

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Is there a schedule and time line?

Rod

0 Kudos